Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting Internet in Japan 2010/1/29 14:21

Hey everyone,

I`m new in Japan and I want a cheap and easy way to go online both at home and outside. Basically, I am looking for a mobile broadband Internet connection. I know that all the main carriers offer this (I saw e-mobile even give away low-end PCs with their deals) but would really appreciate any advice people might have (who’s got best speed, who’s got best price etc).

Thanks.
by ClareG  

mobile internet 2010/1/29 15:40
We use air-h cards (pcmcia version) and willcom service when travelling at work and they are decent, albeit slow. But then again pretty much all the mobile internet cards are pretty slow compared to actual broadband.

Recently, I've been using my iphone tethered to a laptop and the speeds seem equivalent if not a little bit faster than the air-h card. Good enough to watch a few videos on youtube even. Unfortunately this only works with iphones running the older 3.1 iphone os, so it won't be an option to new customers until softbank authorizes tethering. Then again, if all you're looking for is mobile internet then maybe just using internet on the iphone (without tethering) would serve your needs.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Doccica 2010/2/2 13:27
I have just the thing for you! I was in the same position as you a few months ago and a friend of mine recommended using Doccica. It has no contracts or monthly bills so it’s pretty flexible. You just insert an USB into your laptop and you can get internet anywhere. I have a long commute to school so with Doccica, I could go online on the train. I bought it at Yamada Denki and it came with 500 minutes of internet access. When I run out of time, I buy more time with my credit card.
I hope this helps. Good luck!
by Alexx (guest) rate this post as useful

Doccica 2010/2/3 11:12
I forgot to mention, the name of this product is b-mobile Doccica (bモバイルドッチーカ)
You can check it out at www.bmobile.ne.jp
by Doccica (guest) rate this post as useful

mobile broadband internet access 2010/2/4 23:15
I have a similar problem and I look also for a prepaid solution (like the b-mobile Doccica (bモバイルドッチーカ)My question on this would be: does the SIM-card also work in other devices than the USB Stick? I ask because I would love to use the data plan with a Novatel mifi mobile router (2352 - European model) that provides a wifi signal to connect different devices. Has anybody information about Carriers that sell prepaid SIM Cards that would work in such devices (Username and Password are obliatory for a 3G login with a mifi). I would like to use it at Kyoto this spring.
by Joerg (guest) rate this post as useful

3g data in Japan? 2010/3/8 04:47
I am wondering the same thing. The only b-mobile device advertised in English is a 3g USB modem that costs around $400 with 150 hours of usage. How is this different from the b-mobile Doccica other then having less time?

Does it contains a sim that is removable & does anyone know if it could be used in a Nokia n900 smartphone?

Can these devices be resold in the case of having leftover time?

by youth (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread