Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The drawer under the stove, what is it? 2010/1/29 17:53
Well, I'm confuse whether that is a broiler or what? I'm curious on how to use it. Tried turn it on, and I noticed the fire lit on top of it. So actually what type of cooking could I use there?

Some friends say that the Japanese usually cook fish there. Well, could anybody help me, suggest what kind of food can I cook there. I just feel that ' It is there, but what should I do with it' ...

thanks
by nina (guest)  

broiler 2010/1/29 19:22
It's a broiler. As your friends mentioned its typically used to cook fish (salmon, mackeral, etc.) although you can use it for whatever. I use mine to cook toast, as well as to cook meat and vegetables that could otherwise be cooked by grilling. In fact, you can just think of it and use it as an upside down grill.

Here's some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grilling#Overhead_grilling.2Foven_grillin...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Better to place water 2010/1/30 23:45
Yllwsmrf is right. But please note that with most grills, you need to place some water on the pan, otherwise it is likely to be damaged and it seems that Wikipedia doesn't really mention that. Great for chicken, too.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

water 2010/1/31 03:18
Uco's suggestion to put water in the pan is a good practice to do when cooking meat and fish. The purpose is to catch the drippings and prevent them from smoking up your kitchen, rather than preventing damage to the stove, so you don't need to worry about it if cooking things like toast.

Healthier cooking 2010/1/31 07:50
Using the broiler ( we call it a griller in Australia ) is a healthy way to cook meat with a lot of fat on it as the fat will drip off into the pan below. And yes a little water will help to clean it and prevent the fat from getting hotter and smoking. If it has a front door then the door should be left open whilst cooking. Make sure that your food is far enough away from the flame or element if using an electric type. The tray is usually adjustable or you can move it to another shelf level. A great device for making a meal involving a bread base with a choice of toppings then covered with cheese which melts across the toppings.
And when you clean it strain that fat off and put it to the rubbish bin. If you pour it all down the drain you will eventually need to call a plumber as the fat will find a level and set hard in your pipes.
by RodW rate this post as useful

My 1st dish, using the broiler 'course. 2010/2/1 03:41
I had my first dish, thanks to you guys all. =)

Not really a dish I would claim, just a snack.

Bread+Cheese+Tuna+Mayo+Some Red Pepper+Black Pepper.

In the broiler it goes, just for 2-3 minutes.

I swore, so good. Haha, thanks!
by nina (guest) rate this post as useful

broiler 2010/2/1 09:41
If it has a front door then the door should be left open whilst cooking. Make sure that your food is far enough away from the flame or element if using an electric type. The tray is usually adjustable or you can move it to another shelf level.

These features apply more to western ovens, rather than Japanese broilers which are more or less non adjustable and vent through the back (meaning you should keep the door closed for proper venting). Other than that small point, RodW has some good advice and great point on how to dispose of the leftover grease and oil.

reply to this thread