Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Heavy Whipping Cream in Japan? 2010/1/31 09:58
I need to make a Honmei choco soon and I don't know where to find Heavy Whipping Cream, or what it's even called in Japan. I tried looking with the milks and only found soy milk and other magical fat free milks, but not the whipping cream. If someone could tell me what it's called I will go to Ito Yokado and try looking for it...but I'm really stuck. Thanks!
by SakuKisetsu  

did you check top shelf? 2010/1/31 17:33
Hmm, I think every grocery store I shop in has whipping cream. I made desserts that I needed to whip heavy cream a few times this year, and never had trouble finding it. It is usually on the top shelf above the milks in a small little carton. Ito Yokado is a great store, I would be surprised if they don't have it. Usually there is a picture of whipped cream on it. :) Also, being that it is almost Valentine's Day, they are stocking tons more of dessert making ingredients.
Good luck!
by ya (guest) rate this post as useful

Cream 2010/1/31 17:41
SakuKisetsu,

At all our local supermarkets (Yaoko/Ito Yokado), the cream is actually stocked away from the obvious milk/butter/cheese area, so you may have to hunt around for it. There will be number on it, like 35 or 45, indicating the percentage of fat, with higher numbers for thicker cream.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/31 20:07
If you cannot find them on the shelves, ask for "nama kuriimu" or "hoippu kuriimu." "Nama kuriimu" tends to be real high-fat-content cream, while "hoippu kuriimu" may be non-dairy substitute, which is also OK for use in cake topping :) They almost always come in a small pack of 100ml or 200ml or so.
by AK rate this post as useful

by the fruit juice 2010/1/31 21:38
I've often seen whipped cream on the top shelf above the fruit juices, near sour cream. It's almost always labeled as "FRESH CREAM" in English on the carton. I've actually recently even seen the spray-can of already-whipped cream in Hanamasa and Seijo Ichii as well.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks guys! 2010/2/2 23:50
I found it! They had everything pulled out for Valentines day and when I asked for 生クーリム it was all good. Hahah it seemed almost so obvious, but when I went back to my local store they had it over in a different section than all the milks, butters, and cheeze! Thanks alot everyone!
by SakuKisetsu (guest) rate this post as useful

100 en shops 2010/2/6 10:16
go to a 100 yen store, you may be able to find cartons of it there for much much much cheaper than grocery stores sell it. grocery stores seem to sell 250ml cartons for around 350yen. 100en stores will have it for 100 en of course.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread