Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Humidifier/De-humidifier for music room? 2010/2/6 08:39
I keep a lot of musical instruments in a small 'music room'(Aichi-ken, city not country).

Up to now, I've been running a DE-humidifier all year round to protect them (guitars, etc) from the climate. I've used this, figuring Japan is humid, so de-humidify. Constant setting shows around 48-50%.

However, I see music stores with humidifiers going 24/7 and don't recall seeing dehumidifiers much.

Have I got it wrong?

Question: Should I be using only dehumidifier or only humidifier, or both or either depending on the time of year?

Very confusing, so advice much appreciated.

Also, I've heard that some humidifiers can leave a kind of white dust/powder. Any recommendations on a model that doesn't would be great. Thanks!
by May (guest)  

dry winters 2010/2/6 09:45
Japan is mostly very dry in winter, so many people would switch to a humidifier to maintain a constant humidity. Then in summer a dehumidifier is definitely needed. A dehumidifier in winter would seem like a waste of electricity unless there is a source of humidity, like a shower room, nearby. Do you have a hygrometer which tells you what the humidity actually is so you can judge which is needed at a certain time?

I suggest you ask this question on a music-related site rather than here-other countries have similar weather patterns to Japan as the humid summer/dry winter pattern is quite common, and you are more likely to get answers from people who know about musical instruments.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread