Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

summer jobs in Japan? Kyoto area? 2010/2/14 10:16
Hi...

I was wondering if anybody could help me find information on temporary employment in Japan for this summer 2010. I know it would be difficult to find teaching jobs but I wonder if people sometimes need someone to take over for a few months or there might be other employment possibilities?

I am particularly interested in the Kyoto/Osaka area.

thanks in advance
by JP (guest)  

well 2010/2/14 15:40
if you're just planning on coming here for 'a few months' then you will most likely be in japan on a tourist visa, which means that yo are not allowed to work.

do you speak japanese? you would have to if you want to do other things than teaching.
by teaching (guest) rate this post as useful

Visa conversion? 2010/2/16 15:46
Piggyback question: What about studying for 90 days on a tourist visa, then beginning work with an ESL group?

Thanks -
by Deibu B rate this post as useful

visa 2010/2/16 16:41
What about studying for 90 days on a tourist visa, then beginning work with an ESL group?

No problem studying while on a tourist visa, but you can only begin work after changing your visa to a type that allows paid work. Otherwise, it is illegal to start working while still on your tourist visa.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/2/23 16:11
Thank you - is that conversion feasible/difficult to accomplish? Appreciate your insight.
by Deibu B rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/23 20:10
To Deibu B,
Seeing from your profile, if you are from the US, you will need all the qualifications for a work visa (since US citizens are not eligible for Working Holiday Visa). The qualifications you need would be a bachelor's degree, or several years of English teaching experience already (if that's the kind of job you are looking for), and of course an employer who wants to hire you full-time for your skills/experience and is willing to sponsor you for a visa.

I don't know exactly what you mean by an ESL "group," but if you mean an English conversation school of some kind, the economy does not allow for easy job search currently; also employers might prefer to hire people who are already in Japan with a work-permitting visa or with plenty of experiences.

To JP,
What nationality do you hold? If you are eligible for a Working Holiday Visa, then it might be easier to find casual work. Otherwise employers would have to sponsor you for a full work visa, which they are unlikely to do for a short term like a few months, unless you have very special skills.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread