Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Am I in the National Pension system? 2010/2/15 16:55
I'm enrolled in the National Health system in Japan (paying around 600,000 per year), but does that mean I'm automatically in the pension scheme also?

If no, how come I've not been 'asked' to join, as I thought it's (nominally at least) compulsory. I teach part-time, by the way, and have PR visa.

If no, how much would pension payments be, and would I need to pay them at 56 years of age, and planning to retire overseas)? If I haven't paid, but should have done, is there an issue of back payments to worry about?

If yes, how much of what I'm actually paying for NI is pension?

If yes, does the fact that I pay UK NI contributions make a difference? I believe there's a reciprocal arrangement, but not sure if that's for permanent residents, too?
by Dan (guest)  

. 2010/2/16 00:28
The pension system and health insurance system are separate. If you didn't sign up for pension, then you're not enrolled in it.

I don't know about back-payments but the normal monthly payments are about 14,000 (regardless of income).
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/16 03:29
There are two pension systems. The National Pension system, which you have to enroll yourself. And the Employees' Pension system, where you are supposed to be enrolled by your employer if you are a regular employee at a Japanese company (does not apply to part time employees and contract workers).

So, if you have never been a regular company employee in Japan and did not enroll yourself into the National Pension system, you are currently probably not enrolled.

If no, how much would pension payments be

National Pension is a low fixed amount of around 14,000 yen per month.

Employees' Pension is around 16% of your salary, but the company is paying half of it. So, around 8% of your salary will be withheld for pension (there is an upper limit for high salaries).

and would I need to pay them at 56 years of age, and planning to retire overseas?

You need to pay pension for at least 25 years and reach the age of 65 in order to become eligible for the benefits. There seem to be some options for early retirement, in which case you can get benefits from age 60.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Pension system 2010/2/16 08:32
What has been written so far is absolutely correct.

Concerning the retirement agreement, you should check the UK retirement homepage - I'm sure there is something like that.

As for me (German, permanent resident in Japan) I will get retirement pay from Germany as well as Japan once I turn 65 (+ a little). The time you payed into the two systems counts, so, in my case 20+ years German retirement, 20+ years Japanese = total 40 (+) years = eligible to get my pension.

Hope this helps?!?!
by kulachan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread