Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

some translation please. 2010/2/17 00:22
hello,
I was reading a strip about a student wanting to follow his delinquent friend (something like bullying). The delinquent asked why to this student and this student answereed 'because it's cool'. Then the delinquent said 'kawattenai!' to the student.

I was wondering if kawattenai here means 'you don't change.' ,that has same meaning as 'zenzen kawattenai' that I always heard before. But if it's translated to English 'you don't change.', won't people who read it would be confused and say 'change? change what?' so must it contain 'at all' too?

and another one is:
kanojo wa awanai yo.
kanojo wa aimasen.

I believe they have the same meaning? do both of them can be translated to 'I won't be seeing the girl.'?
by mise (guest)  

... 2010/2/17 07:35
"Kawattenai" means "You haven't changed," "You're still your old self," or "You haven't grown, have you" kind of thing.

"Zenzen kawattenai" is "You haven't changed at all." "Zenzen" is just an adverb added for emphasis.

The two "kanojo..." sentences have the same meaning, but I'm not sure if it means:
- "She's not going to see (you)."
or
- "She is not a good match (for you).

...as "au/aimasu" means "to match/suit" as well as "to meet/see (someone)."
by AK rate this post as useful

thank you and another thing 2010/2/18 16:57
thank you very much AK.

I think the au is the see/meet one.

another thing is, is kawattenai can also be assumed as 'you're weird'? or something like that to show the student is kinda weird or something because wanting to follow the delinquent's way?
by mise (guest) rate this post as useful

Just a possibility... 2010/2/18 17:07
is kawattenai can also be assumed as 'you're weird'?

"KawatteNAI" can only mean "You haven't changed." "...nai" is definitely a negative form :)

Just in case you read/heard the ending a bit differently... if it said:
"Kawatten'na," then it is a colloquial form of "kawatteru na" or "kawatte iru na," and does mean
"You are strange" or "You have strange preference."
by AK rate this post as useful

thank you 2010/2/18 17:11
I see. because I heard my friend said it has that kind of meaning too. but I'm not sure if it's the same kawattenai.

Thank you again.
by mise (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread