Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese degree in USA? 2010/2/23 06:39
I am considering college in Japan, and while I plan to work in International Business in Japan eventually, I was wondering if my degree from a Japanese university would be accepted by employers in the USA? I understand that it is up to the employers to decide, but in general, how do American employers view foreign degrees (I'm going to go for a BA).

I'm a senior in high school right now, but before I choose my college I want to know what my chances of American employment would be with a foreign BA. Thanks :)
by Rachel3  

some considerations 2010/2/23 12:19
Before you start thinking about college in Japan, its important to consider your motivation in the first place. You say you want to work in ''International Business'' but what exactly is International Business? Do you mean import and exports? Foreign relations? Translation for companies? etc...

Also have you ever been to Japan or do you speak Japanese? Many foreigners who come here end up finding Japan to be a far different place from what they imagined. I would highly caution you against coming here for a degree without at least having lived here for a few months first.

To answer your actual question however, most US companies do not look highly on foreign degrees, especially Japanese ones. Japanese universities are notorious for being extremely lax and lacking in preparation for the working world. Some of the all English schools like Sophia get a little more credit but still don't compare to a US degree in the eyes of many employers.

What you should consider is getting your degree at a US university, then studying abroad in Japan for year. You would end up saving loads of money and come out with much better job prospects.
by nsmith4 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/2/23 12:53
I was actually considering APU. It has bilingual classes, and I've heard that the language program there is excellent, so while I may not be fluent in 4 years, I would be able to understand enough to get by, and gradually become fluent the longer I stayed.

As for the actual career, I'm not quite sure. I'm still exploring my options there.

Thank you for the honest answer about foreign degrees. I'm not dead set on going to Japanese college, but I am highly considering it. I know the language program in TUJ isn't very good (from what I've heard from current students), but it offers an American degree while still living in Japan. I know if I made the extra effort, I could still immerse myself in the culture and learn the language. That all depends on how much effort an individual puts into their education. Thanks alot for the help :)
by Rachel3 rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/23 20:37
Unless you plan on working in the translation industry or in academia, you should not consider a B.A. from a Japanese university from the perspective of career advancement.

Pick a school in the US that has Japanese as well as the major you're interested in and also make sure the school has a good history with study abroad.

Go to the right school and you can get a US degree while spending 12-24 months abroad (in Japan).

This type of undergraduate experience is possible at schools like Carleton, Oberlin, Amherst, Middlebury etc. They have some of the strongest Japanese language programs in the country and flexible curriculum.

Go to the right school, come on a study abroad program and live with a homestay family and your Japanese will be better than having gotten a BA from a university in Japan.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

reply to this thread