Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

part-time job in japan possible? 2010/2/24 02:45
i would be going over to japan soon for about 3 months on a tourist visa (if i am not wrong). during the time there, i am interested in getting a part-time job (arubaito) to earn some of my keep and also to while away time. however, my country does not offer a working holiday visa to japan.

therefore, are there any other ways to obtain a legal ''work permit'' to work part-time in japan? fyi, i will be in the country to study japanese during that period of time.
by g. (guest)  

. 2010/2/24 08:56
No not as a temporary visitor status.

If you had an actual student visa, then your options are open, but since you are a temporary visitor (tourist) no you cannot.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/24 09:15
It is illegal to engage in paid work under Temporary Visitor visa. If you are not eligible for Working Holiday Visa, you cannot engage in any part-time work.

If you were coming for a longer period (normally for one year or so) and with the help from the school obtain Pre-college visa, after a few months into the study with good attendance and good grades you might be able to get a separate work permit that allows you to work up to a certain number of hours per week, but that would not apply to a short-term stay like yours.

BTW, for a short, possibly intensive study course like that, I would not really worry about wanting to "while away time." Everything you see and hear, TV, magazines, conversation you might hear on the streets, etc. would be study materials for you :)
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2010/2/24 20:55
thanks for the replies! this whole working part-time problem is much more clear to me now (:
by g. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread