Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

starting my own food bussines in Japan? 2010/2/24 06:09
Hi, I want to know how is the legal aspects to be allowed to open a food bussines in Japan (maybe Tokyo, but info about other cities is welcome too!).

I want to prepare and sell some native latin food that, in my country, ALL japanese people enjoy, so I think it might be a nice try. So, I imagine that I need to get a Salubrious (sorry my bad english) licence?, I believe like in the whole world they need to be sure the food will not be rotten, or make people sick? a city hall tax to pay too?

Anyone knows the fares, places to pay/request permissions etc to make this project work, or a web page describing it? thanks.
by Lord Magus  

business 2010/2/24 18:16
Ask the Japanese embassy or consulate near you home. You will need to speak somewhat fluent Japanese in order to deal with suppliers, staff, customers and government inspectors. You will need someone to help you lease a place plus an apartment and this will cost lots of yen upfront as you likely have no one in Japan that can be your guarantor.
You will need more money to renovate the place..and enough to pay all the bills for months..
Do you already run a successful food business in your country?
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/24 18:28
Another thing you need to think about - and this is where information from Embassy or Consulate will help - under what visa you can live and run your business in Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

more info please 2010/2/24 23:29
Thanks. Well I am not running a food bussines in my country yet, maybe will never do it here. The competition in that special dish here is wide and strong.

Instead I run a succesful Karate dojo, but if moving to Japan I hardly believe japanese people want to learn karate fron a gaijin... so, teaching spanish, portuguese and english will be more easy for me but I want to give a try on the food bussines because my familyLs style has a nice taste.
I speak a bit of japanese, have spent the last 4 years studing it. My girlfriend is japanese and we are planing to marry in 3 years, but now she doesnt know anything about food licenses/legal aspects to help me.

I will contact the japanese embassy in my country... but I am hoping to read more advises here thanks!
by Lord Magus rate this post as useful

reply to this thread