Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kabuki-za & sumo 2010/2/25 00:56
HI every1,

while spending the time in Tokyo (2nd half of April) I would like to (among others) see this:

- at least 1 part o play of Kabuki-za theater (i knowthe theater building shall be destroyed though as I went through the net I found out it shall be in business until May 1 - correct?) - is there any chance of making reservation from Europe or do you thing that average class hotels could even provide me with the service of buying tickets for 1 - in advance - specified day?? or would it be possible to just come & buy (I would prefer April 13, evening session)?

- sumo - rather a competition/match though I would be satisfied to even watch a training session as it is something really new & unusual for centre-europees - is it possible to watch the training? is it possible to do so during the weekend as well (the best for me would be the last Sat or Sun of April)? If yes, where and under what conditions? Is there even a chance of seeing some sumo-competition during the mentioned period?

- bunrakku - I do not know if it is possible to see it in Tokyo (if not, is it possible to see a bunrakku play in Kyoto - if yes where & when?; I am not visiting Osaka which is - I assume - mekka of bunrakku ...)?

Many thanks to you all in advance for useful repsonses &/or links, Jet
by JETELINHO  

... 2010/2/25 03:42
This question sounds familiar. Didn't you post it already a few weeks back?

at least 1 part o play of Kabuki-za theater (i knowthe theater building shall be destroyed though as I went through the net I found out it shall be in business until May 1 - correct?)

I believe that the last play will be performed through April 28.

is there any chance of making reservation from Europe

I imagine the last performance (which happens to be one of kabuki's most popular plays) will be very popular. But it seems that there are also tickets available on the day. I am not to well informed, so I recommend to try and get the official information by phone. Their number is listed on the following website:
http://www.shochiku.co.jp/play/kabukiza/theater/

or do you thing that average class hotels could even provide me with the service of buying tickets for 1 - in advance - specified day??

No, regular seats will likely be sold out in advance and the hotel cannot do anything about it. And same-day tickets, if available at all, are only available at the theater, I believe.

is it possible to watch the training?

Some sumo stables invite tourists to observe their morning trainings. You should be able to find a lot of details on this forum and on Google. Use the search term "sumo stable"

I do not know if it is possible to see it in Tokyo (if not, is it possible to see a bunrakku play in Kyoto - if yes where & when?

The Gion Corner in Kyoto has a short bunraku performance among its other performances:
http://kyoto-gion-corner.info/gion_corner/top/
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks uji / fotos 2010/2/25 19:29
Thank you Uji yet again for your help. Regarding all the mentioned performances, I assume it is not allowed to use a fotocamera during the performance/match/training - neither with nore without the flash nore in qiute regime since it has one?

In general - is it possible & wouldnLt it be disturbing (annoying) using camera in shrines & temples - in case it is not explicitly prohibited of course?
Eihter with or without flash?

Yet again thank you very much, Uji
by JETELINHO rate this post as useful

Kabuki in April and Bunraku in Tokyo 2010/3/16 00:28
It is amazing, the tickets for Kabuki show in April are very few. Visit this web-site.
It has ''the availability of tickets in April''.
http://www.tokyokabukiguide.com/

The theater for Bunraku is only the National Theater ( small theater, not large one ) at Nagatacho. They have no play in April. You can see Bunraku from Nay 8 to 24 there.
by Tantam (guest) rate this post as useful

photography 2010/3/16 07:50
Jetelinho, to answer your questions about photography in shrines and temples, in many cases you can only go up to the front of the building where people stop and pray briefly, so it's not actually possible to enter. In the cases where you can go inside, there are often signs saying "no photography", so look out for those.

I would say that most Japanese people visit famous shrines and temples more as a sightseeing trip than for any religious reasons, so you will not offend people by taking photos around shrines if it's not prohibited- plenty of Japanese people will be doing the same thing.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

THANKS 2010/3/18 23:59
thanks to both last 2 respondents.

well, regarding Bunrakku, is there any chance in Kyoto to see it (2nd part of April)?

And what about (any ...) info bout sumó - I would appreciate infos about where (adress or station at least) to visit the training, days when it is possible & eventually any details about any stable - web page would be excellent though I doubt they´ve got them (seems like def. not in english :-( ).

thanks for responses as well as in advance for any sumó details &/or Bunrakku in Kyoto
Jet

recommendation - theater guide 2010/5/5 21:27
please allow me to recommend herewith the service of http://www.tokyokabukiguide.com/.

I have my personal experience with this lady from around 3 weeks (Kabuki-za) and a very good one; everything went as was agreed per mail, Mrs. Yabe is a kind, sympathic person and knows a lot about japanese theater.

So, from my point of view - since you need theater tickets in Tokyo, try this web,
Jet

reply to this thread