Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa question 2010/2/25 19:15
Hi,
Right now I am an ALT but I've been in Japan for 3 years and have been studying Japanese for about 5 years. I would like to try working in something like a cafe or restaurant to take a break from English teaching.
Language skills aside,

Can I legally do this?

Can I just walk up to a cafe or restaurant with a help wanted sign, ask for an interview and if I get the job, go down to immigration and change my visa status?

by Johnny82  

Visa status 2010/2/25 22:04
The thing is, there is no working visa status allowing you to work at a restaurant or a cafe. Even if there were, you still need supporting documentation from your new employer to change your status, plus proof that you are earning enough to live comfortably (the 1,000 yen or so an hour that restaurant jobs usually pay won't be enough).

If you continue teaching English, but want to work at a restaurant part time, Immigration may grant you permission to do work that isn't covered by your visa status, but they may also refuse.

by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/2/26 21:08
Yes I've been thinking about it and I just want to try working part time for now in something like a cafe. I just want to try it and of course to pick up some extra cash.
by Johnny82 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread