Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

fotos? kabuki, no, shrine,temple 2010/2/28 02:06
Dear all,
I assume it is not allowed to use a fotocamera during the performance/match/training of Nó, Kabuki, Sumo - neither with nore without the flash nore in qiute regime since it has one?

In general - is it possible & wouldnLt it be disturbing (annoying) using camera in shrines & temples - in case it is not explicitly prohibited of course?
Eihter with or without flash?

Or are there any special rules regeding taking fotos?

thank you
by JETELINHO  

... 2010/2/28 03:55
It cannot be generalized. It always depends on the specific place and situation.

No and Kabuki Performances: I assume that it depends on the theater. It is probably forbidden in conventional theaters, but might be allowed in more touristic places, such as Gion Corner.

Sumo: photo taking is allowed at any time during regular tournaments, including flash photography. But if you visit a stable's morning practice, individual stables' rules will apply and you better ask if the rules are unclear.

The rules also differ between individual shrines and temples. But as a rule of thumb, photos are allowed anywhere except inside buildings and photos of objects of worship. Look for signs and ask if in doubt.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/28 03:56
Sometimes the signs are in Japanese only. Look for Be֎~ (photography prohibited)
by Uji rate this post as useful

photos 2010/2/28 07:20
If you have a good digital camera you shouldn't have to use a flash anyway. If the subject is over 25 ft away in a big arena or outdoors the flash will not be of much help anyway.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/3/1 16:30
thanks to you guys (I would have used the flash in relevant situations only of course).

besides - thank you Uji for the japanese sign - very helpful, I will immediately put it into the list of most important signs & words I am trying to study before I leave (ooh, itLs really very near now :-)) )

again, thank you both for responses
by JETELINHO rate this post as useful

reply to this thread