Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

credit? 2010/3/1 13:11
I'm planning to go to Japan in a year or two and I was wondering if say in the future, I want to get a house, would the credit I've built up on my credit card be valid there? I've tried getting pen pals on here but failed so this is one of many questions to ask.
by Alexander D  

credit 2010/3/2 09:32
I'm planning to go to Japan in a year or two and I was wondering if say in the future, I want to get a house, would the credit I've built up on my credit card be valid there?

Your pre-Japan credit history will not be taken into account when applying for loans, or when applying for Japanese credit cards. Also note that most banks won't even consider you for a loan unless you have permanent residence status.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

credit 2010/3/4 13:46
I sometimes see ads targetted at foreigners for housing loans. Some companies such as Citibank are internationally active and might want to access your records.
For a housing loan, a credit card history would not be as important as e.g. your level of income.
by tokyob (guest) rate this post as useful

Cash 2010/3/4 15:41
You say you want to use your credit card, well if you can get cash through your credit card then come here to Japan and pay cash for a house it is possible, but I would say the interest will be quite high.

You can get some really cheap properties here in Japan if you look and getting into forclosers is another cheap way as well.
by Oboy (guest) rate this post as useful

credit 2010/3/4 22:13
Your overseas credit means absolutely nothing in Japan I'm afraid. You may even have trouble getting a credit card here for the first few years as foreigners are considered poor credit risks- it took me years to be approved for one. My credit record in my home country is outstanding, but that's completely irrelevant. As above, even from banks like Citibank it is very hard to get a home loan unless you have a Japanese spouse or permanent residence.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/3/5 23:12
Thank you everyone for your answers. I thought that would be the case about my credit not even being looked at there but I thought I'd ask anyway. I don't plan to get a house right away, I'd have to wait many years for that once I get there. I'm trying to plan things out carefully before I go.
by Alexander D rate this post as useful

reply to this thread