Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pursuing an MBA in Japan 2010/3/1 18:47
Studying abroad during undergrad wasn't possible because of school credits and financial issues and I found out that getting an entry-level job in Tokyo after I graduate would be nearly impossible. Instead, I'm now considering studying in Japan during graduate school after working in the U.S. for a couple of years.

I'm majoring in International Business while in undergrad, and I want to focus on East and South East Asia.

I've been to Tokyo a few times and now I really want to experience living there while I'm still young, so I figured my one option would be getting my MBA from a university in Tokyo.

About the language issue, I've been actively learning for two years now, and I figured I could reach conversational or even fluent level if I wait until I go to grad school (two years from now) to go there.

The thing is, should I decide to come back to the U.S. or pursue a job in Tokyo, how would a Japanese MBA affect my job prospects?
by Marie (guest)  

uni 2010/3/4 13:43
First, you'd need to decide whether you want to study in Japanese or in English. There are quite a few Unis who offer MBA's in English such as Sophia U in Tokyo.
Regarding Job prospects, the University ranking is quite important. Large Japanese companies would prefer graduates from a top University (Tokyo, Kyoto, Waseda, Keio...). Foreign companies would not care so much about the university name, but more about your language and job skills.
by tokyob (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/4 15:04
Thank you for the insight. I'm hoping to take the classes in Japanese if I can get my level up to par in 3 years or so. I figured this would also be a good way to familiarize myself with industry jargon in Japanese. However, I'm not completely ruling out English-language courses.

I've been reading that Japanese companies don't hold Master's degrees in high regard, but to my understanding this was only for Liberal Arts type of degrees. Is it safe to say that the opinion differs towards Master's in economics/business-related fields?
by Marie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread