Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going to Japan without a job, stupid? 2010/3/2 11:16
Hi Everyone,

Question: I really want to live in Kyoto. A few people have told me to get a work visa here in Canada, and then job search on the ground.

**Most schools dont want to deal with your visa.
**I can be there to see/check the school/conditions/curriculum.

AM I STUPID? Going to Japan without a solid job?

I have 4 years experience in ESL, A TESOL certification, worked in 3 countries, and a 4 year degree.

THANKS!

Joel.
by JOel (guest)  

Job? 2010/3/2 12:58
As far as I know, you can't get a work visa for Japan without having already lined up a job, with a sponsor.

The exception for work is a Working Holiday visa, which is not the same as a Work Visa.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/2 13:13
If you are a Canadian, you should look into Working Holiday Visa (different from "work visa"). If you qualify (in terms of age and place of residence before you apply), that probably would be the easiest way to stay in Japan and stay/travel in Japan for 6 months or one year, while having a way to earn some pocket money at least.

With your experience in English language teaching it's likely you might eventually find an employer who want to hire you and sponsor you for a work visa (yes you need a candidate employer before the work visa application process can start), but with the current economy it might not come that quickly. In any case, you should come with some savings so that you can stay financially OK for a few months.
by AK rate this post as useful

wrong order 2010/3/2 14:57
I second the above- you cannot get a work visa without a job already lined up. If you find a job in Japan where the employer is willing to sponsor you, then you can apply for a work visa. The working holiday visa is not dependent on having a job already lined up, but you need to be under 31, and you need to be in Canada to apply.

While it is possible to come to Japan on a tourist permit, find work and then get the visa, bear in mind that Kyoto is one of the most popular places for foreigners to want to live, but being quite a small city there are not that many jobs there. For a greater chance of success you should widen your search area to include at least Osaka- it is quite possible to live in Kyoto and work in Osaka if you don't mind the commute.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2010/3/2 15:42
Hi, sorry to jump in like this, but I'm in a sort of similar situation. I'm actually marrying my J-girlfriend and was wondering if I have a good shot at finding a job like this:

-TESL certified (1month course)
-Speak English and Spanish native level
-Elementary level Japanese(and quickly learning)
-2yr Degree
-Should have a working permit soon

If not teaching English any other suggestions? I will be living in Tokyo.
Thanks in advance :)
Amos
by amosfamous rate this post as useful

It's up to you 2010/3/2 16:34
You have the qualifications to teach English in Japan, you can come on a tourist visa for 90 days and start looking for a job and if the company is willing to sponser you with a work visa it is fine.

I did it back in 2005 and found a job with in 30 days, went to Korea to get the visa and have been in Japan working ever since.

Make sure you have the money to stay for at lest 90 days plus enough to fly to Korea and back,

Hopefully you can find a job with in 90 days,
Good Luck

by Oboy (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/2 17:16
amosfamous,

In your case, once you've married your Japanese girlfriend and have a Spouse of Japanese national status, in terms of visa you can take up any employment - potential employers don't have to bother with a visa for you, so that's a plus.
So the rest would be whether employers would find your skills/qualifications interesting enough to hire you. For English language teaching, you say your English and Spanish are at "native level," but are you a native speaker of English? If yes, there may be some chance, though (as I said in my earlier post) the economy slows down teacher hiring as well. For other jobs.. I don't know what degree you have and what other skills you have, so I cannot tell. If the two of you are going to stay in Japan long-term, keep on learning the language :)

Wrong 2010/3/2 18:05
Sira is wrong,

You can be in Japan and you don't need to be under 31.

When I came to Japan on a Tourist visa I was 45 and found a job with a company willing to sponser me, the company took care of all the paper work went to Korea to pick up my work visa and presto,

It's not that hard, as long as you have the money you will be fine untill you find a job.

by Oboy (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2010/3/2 19:05
Oboy,

The age limit of 31 mentioned by Sira (and also in my post) is referring to the condition for "Working Holiday Visa," not for Temporary Visitor ("tourist") or starting from there and converting to any of the work-permitting visa types :)

right 2010/3/2 22:45
Oboy, you might want to read the sentence where I mention the age limit and need to be in Canada again. As AK says, I was talking about the working holiday visa, not the working visa. 45 year olds do not get working holiday visas ;-)

... 2010/3/2 22:47
Also, it is no longer necessary to go to Korea to change from a tourist permit to a working visa- it can all be done while the person is in Japan.

Yes you should 2010/3/5 18:50
A lot of people go to Japan on tourist visas to get jobs. In fact, it is the best way if you're looking for more of a permanent type of job. I think the most experience people that teach ESL in Japan come here, and when they get hired they get their approval from the Japanese government then go to Korea for a few days while the visa is processed.

This is the best way in my opinion... Go for it!
by Jeiku (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/5 19:25
Except that as I mentioned above, it is no longer necessary to go to Korea to get a working visa processed. It has not been necessary for quite a few years now, but the idea that it is necessary just will not go away, as can be seen in this thread.

Also 2010/3/5 19:42
Coming to Japan on a tourist visa then changing is possible as mentioned, however, many employers will be turned off by the fact they have to go through the hassle of doing the paper work and becoming your sponsor. There are already plenty of foreigners in Japan looking for work who already have permission to work.
Years ago, after quite a few interviews, only one company was happy to hire me, despite me being on a tourist visa. At the moment, with the sheer number of teachers in Japan looking for work, being on a tourist visa will be a disadvantage.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

You can do what ever you like.... 2010/3/6 11:04
I don't agree with the prson who said it's the best way to get a full time position. If I'm an employer, I would prefer to hire someone who already has a proper visa than go through the hassle of preparing everything for a new arrival. It's just easier and cheaper.

Without a work visa, you put yourself at distinct disadvantage compared with people who have proper visas and who will be far more attractive to employers.

However, you can get full time work if you look on-line at agencies and name schools. They take care of almost everything you need to get you estalished in the country. You might not get to your preferred desination immediately, but you can get established and make the move to where you want to be later.
by Fishboy rate this post as useful

''on tourist visas to get jobs.'' 2010/3/6 12:10
For a canadian, a working holiday visa is a much better option, I recommend it as well.
by Rapha29 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread