Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

employment insurance 2010/3/3 23:14
hi,
I work in the same place since more than two years, but my employer never paid for shakai hoken, or employment insurance.
Now he wants to low down his main workers's salary including me, and he might dismissed us if we don't agree with it.

Since I don't intend to agree with it, I am wondering what I can do or have to do to get unemployment benefits, if I get dismissed.

I heard it is possible to pay 6 months of employment insurance in one time, but I couldn't find any information about it on the web.

So, I would like to know if somebody has been in the same situation as me, and what happened?
Or if you could kindly give me advice, I would be more than thanksfull.

Hope to hear from you soon.
by aure (guest)  

Unemployment insurance and benefits 2010/3/4 07:18
Hi ther Aure,

I don't know, but maybe this brochure will help you:

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/bunya/koyou/gaikokujin12/pdf/english.pdf

It's "heavy", something like 52 MB to download, but it should give you all the information you need.
by kulachan rate this post as useful

Oooops ... 2010/3/4 07:20
.... maybe this site is more adequate?

http://osaka-rodo.go.jp/topic/employment_insurance_system.pdf

Just found it now. SORRY!!
by kulachan rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/4 08:05
The company that used to employ a non-Japanese spouse of mine did not pay the employment insurance at all for a few years, thinking that we would leave Japan once the contract ends so that we would not need the unemployment benefits anyway.

When the contract ended, and we told them that we intended to stay in Japan, the company hurriedly enrolled him into the insurance and paid the unemployment insurance premium for the past one year or so (anyway the maximum number of months they could pay in after-the-fact), and therefore my spouse ended up with a few months' worth of unemployment benefits. But it is the employer's obligation, so they have to pay the insurance premium.

Furthermore, if you've been working full-time, it is against the law not to enrol you in some kind of shakai hoken, so you "could" notify the Labor Standards bureau if you want to go the hard way. But I know that companies might claim "oh we don't have any money" and refuse to pay anything at all.

For another, cutting down the workers' salary without a valid reason (if the company is about to go bankrupt and has done everything else that can be done, that can be a valid reason) is something you can argue against too - if you can talk with your colleagues in the same situation, and maybe can consult a lawyer (or "shakai hoken roumushi") at your city hall, it might help to sort out the situation.
Good luck - I hope things work out for you.
by (Anonymous this time) (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread