Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Couple of Questions 2010/3/4 14:18
I'm planning to move to Japan soon to study, and if possible I'd like to stay.

I'll get to the point:
- I'm planning on studying Psychiatry, for those who live there, are doctors payed well enough to live decently?
I know they aren't payed as much as in the USA, but I'm curious.

- I am olive-skinned. Will I have problems in the more rural towns of Japan?

- I'm 5'6, and even though I'm short, I used to be a bodybuilder, so I'm really big and ripped (190 at 7% body fat). Will this have any effect while searching for jobs?

Sorry for the many questions, but I think it's better if I get various opinions on the subject. Thanks for your time.
by Randelvas  

... 2010/3/4 17:32
You need to attend a medical school (six years) and pass the national exam, followed by some clinical training (in hospitals) in order to become any kind of doctor in Japan. Is this what you are planning to do?
by AK rate this post as useful

Japan 2010/3/4 22:09
AK is right. Your body type (unlikely to be an issue anyway) is the least of your worries. Becoming certified to practice in Japan is going to be a long hard road- just reaching that level of fluency in written and spoken Japanese requires several years full time study in itself. I am kind of surprised that someone would consider taking that step in a country they have not even visited.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks for replying 2010/3/5 01:16
Thanks for replying.
Yes I'm fully aware of the procedures to become a Psychiatrist. I figure that if I start fresh in Japan while studying, it will open up more clientele than if I go straight in search for the job.

I'm not worried about the language itself either, I already have a good base I need to extend on.I'm not saying it will be a walk in the park, but it can be done.

I've done my research, and already "know" the answer to my own questions, but the more opinions I get the better.
by Randelvas rate this post as useful

there is more 2010/3/5 03:55
There is a lot more to a foreign language than being able to speak it (besides the fact that it is hard for most people to loose their native accent). A language is the vocalization of a culture.
There are thousands of non verbal clues (that natives of a country give to one another without being aware of it) that facilitate day to day contact. It takes years for a foreigner to get it.

This would be especially important in your field where body language and unspoken cultural references are important.

I was raised in France (French is my second language, English my 3rd) and lived in Quebec (French speaking) for a while. I could communicate verbally but there was a big cultural gap that was very hard to bridge. Interestingly I didn't have that problem in any of the several European countries I have visited or lived in. .
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/5 09:41
Thanks for your time Red Frog.
Yes I understand that, and that's one of the reasons why studying there first would be better than going looking for the job. Not only will I have a bigger clientele by the time I graduate, but I'll also "fit in" easier.

I mean no disrespect, but can somebody answer the questions I posted instead of sidetracking?

Thanks
by Randelvas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread