Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teiju-visa 2010/3/6 10:26
Hi there my name is Alex.
I'm half japanese and american living in japan at the moment.

I was born before the law changed so never had a japanese passport, but moved over here a few years ago under "teijuu visa"

Now, my half-brother (same father, but different mother) wants to move here.

I know teijuu-visa is issued to those whose ancestors are japanese, that means this visa doesnt work for my brother right?

Can my mom sponsor him at all?
or Can I? (no, I dont have eijuu-ken yet)

can anybody out there help me with this?
Thanks in advance.
by alex (guest)  

. 2010/3/6 16:36
Your mom was Japanese but your dad wasn't right?

You have a half brother from your non Japanese dad correct?

I would say chances are close to zero then.

Why doesn't your half brother come to Japan on another visa like Work Visa, Student Visa etc etc.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

visa 2010/3/6 20:44
If your brother is still high school age or younger then he may be able to come here on a dependent visa. If he is older than that though, his lack of Japanese ancestry means that he needs to qualify for a work or student visa just like any other non-Japanese. Confirm this with your nearest Japanese Embassy/consulate as they are the experts on such matters.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

visa 2010/3/6 20:45
If your brother is still high school age or younger then he may be able to come here on a dependent visa. If he is older than that though, his lack of Japanese ancestry means that he needs to qualify for a work or student visa just like any other non-Japanese. Confirm this with your nearest Japanese Embassy/consulate as they are the experts on such matters.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/6 21:27
Assuming he is that and not older, the problem with dependency is that he has a different mother, who is not Japanese. Immigration would wonder what his dependency would be. Much harder to do if he is living and in the custody of his father and non Japanese mother.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread