Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying a mobile phone in Japan 2010/3/8 00:29
By the end of this month I'm moving to Japan and I will need to buy a mobile phone. But I'm not sure of what to look for and things that are good to know about them.
Does anyone know any good phones+ the price, and also about the calling payment?
Thanx on beforehand
//Charlott
by dragnar  

mobile phones 2010/3/8 09:28
First check out this page for general info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/2223.html

What type of contract (rental, prepaid, postpaid), and what model phone depends on how long you will be staying in Japan and how much money you want to spend.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

yllwsmrf: 2010/3/9 00:37
unfortantley don't seem to work :(

I don't want to spend to much money and the phone, but a reasonble price. I will be staying for at least 1year, but perhaps even more.
I'm not fully sure how the system works with japanese mobiles, but rather than filling the phone I would want some sort of subscription, such as I pay a certain amount every mounth and I get to call/sms as much as I want to.
by dragnar rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/9 03:33
by DanielG rate this post as useful

prepaid phones 2010/3/9 10:04
I don't want to spend to much money and the phone, but a reasonble price. I will be staying for at least 1year, but perhaps even more.

Then your best option will be a prepaid phone. The handset will cost you about 5000 yen and then you can buy calling credit in 3000 and 5000 yen increments. The credit is good for 60 days from activation, and you can get unlimited mail for 300 yen a month. This is your cheapest option.

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/prepaid_service/

I'm not fully sure how the system works with japanese mobiles, but rather than filling the phone I would want some sort of subscription, such as I pay a certain amount every mounth and I get to call/sms as much as I want to.

The only way to qualify for a postpaid contract phone without the standard 2 year contract would be to purchase the handset outright which is very expensive. Also, unlimited calling is not a common feature of Japanese phone plans. Also note that Japan's sms system is different than other countries if international sms is an important feature for you. Instead Japanese phones use a mail system that works like regular email. Again, a prepaid phone will be best for you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread