Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

blood tests for tourists 2010/3/11 22:38
Hi, I will be in Japan for nearly a month, starting next week. I am regularly taking Coumadin, a drug that affects my blood coagulation and consequently, I have to do blood tests every 2 weeks.
During my stay, I will have to at least one blood test. Where in Tokyo, or Kyoto, could I go and do a simple blood test, privately? (my insurance won't cover it)
And does anyone know what the cost of that is (at it is done in a private manner, and not under some insurance)?
Thanks!
by lital  

You can visit any hospital but 2010/3/13 00:09
You must go to a hospital or clinic to get coagulation test. Almost all hospitals and clinics in Japan accept any patient regardless of whether insured or not. If you are not insured you have to pay more, but it will be 10000 - 15000 Yen in your case. More importantly, not all doctors know much about the usage of Coumadin, or very fluent in English. Your better choices will be (1) go to a large hospital where you most probably find a doctor who satisfies both conditions, or (2) arrange a visit to the company's medical office if you come to Japan on business with a large company. In either case, a letter from your present doctor, describing present Coumarin dosage and recent test results, including suggestions for dosage modification based on future test results, is essential.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

probably no problem 2010/3/13 00:42
There are many clinics and hospitals all around Tokyo. You can probably have a simple blood test done at any internal medicine (Naika) clinic here, with little or no Japanese skills.

Most doctors speak a little English, so if you bring a paper with your condition's name and the words "blood test" written on it, they will probably figure it out very easily. (that is what I do when I see a doctor here)

You can get medical attention here without insurance at most hospitals and clinics, but it will cost you much more. I think a simple blood test may cost as much as 12.000 yen without insurance.

Good luck and have a blast :D
by P (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/3/14 00:05
Thank you very much for your response and explanation.
by lital rate this post as useful

Warfrin and INR testing 2010/3/19 05:28
Warfrin in Japanese is waafurin and INR is pronounced the same in Japanese as in English. Blood test is ketsueki kensa. You can explain for the dr the reason why you need to take Warfrin (I assuming that you either have AF or a DVT). I think that if you write these words down (both the abbreviation and out in full in English) then as long as you stick to a major clinic/hospital in Japan then you should be fine. Prescibing Warfrin and INR testing is done in Japan for the Japanese.
by Deaks rate this post as useful

reply to this thread