Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Just married- what will Immigration ask? 2010/3/12 00:12
I just got married, and I met my husband only 5 months ago (we met at work). I am on a student visa now, and I still have 7 months on it... but once the time comes, I want to change to a spousal visa.

I am just wondering what kind of experiences people here have had with immigration.. for example, if they did any surprise visits or if visits were scheduled, what kind of documentation do you need to submit (or course we have pics and mails, but anything else) etc.

I am just the kind that worries alot... I don't want to be denied for it :(

by student (guest)  

spouse visa 2010/3/12 12:27
We weren't asked anything. We submitted all the required documentation at the counter, and went home, and not long after I got the postcard telling me to come in and get my stamp. Visits to your house- very unlikely. They do not have the manpower to visit the houses of the thousands of people applying for spouse visas every month. You may be interviewed if they think there is anything suspicious about your application, but otherwise it is very straightforward.

Do make sure you have all the correct documentation including things like your spouse's tax payment certificates- I made an advance trip to Immigration to get a list of exactly what we would need, and so when we applied everything went very smoothly.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/12 14:04
If you got married, you should take the steps to change your visa status immediately.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

nothing - maybe 2010/3/12 21:00
depends where you're from.

if you're philipino, chinese, korean or thai you are going to be scrutinized for sure.

if you're from a western nation they probably won't bother you at all and you'll have your spousal visa within 2 weeks-ish.

if you do for some reason get asked questions, they may ask to see dated photos of you together somewhere, or of both of you together with the other's family, etc, just some kind of link to the past, doesn't really matter if it was only 5 months ago.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread