Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying Laptop 2010/3/12 00:49
Hi All,

will be relocating to Tokyo next month and is looking to replace my old laptop either before or after arriving in Tokyo.

Have been to a few online electronic stores but was not able to really browse through as its in Japanese. I would like to find out generally what is the cost of a mid range laptop with i5 processor for example? And also, LED pc monitor, generally how much are the stores selling please?

Thanks very much for your help!
by Tokyonew  

... 2010/3/12 10:24
Go to Akihabara when you get to Tokyo. You will find many electronic stores there.
by Akihabara (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/12 12:26
Here's a website I always check when I want to buy electronics: kakaku.com.

With Firefox + Rikaichan you should be able to decipher the site.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks for the response 2010/3/13 12:05
Do the stores in Akihabara generally sell electronics cheaper than the retail price published in online electronics stores? What would be an estimate on the price differentials? Thanks so much
by Tokyonew rate this post as useful

Don't buy from DF stores 2010/3/21 12:11
Do you know Japanese?
If so, then go ahead and buy a Japanese laptop either online or in Akihabara.

If you would rather use an English OS, then I strongly suggest you buy one in your home country (I presume it's the US?), or a Dell (English OS is offered on business models). Now, my info might be outdated, but when I was researching laptops last summer I confirmed what I long thought to be true: Duty Free shops in Akihabara are a ripoff. And I don't mean like a 10-30% higher price, I'm talking about 50-100% higher price and/or inferior hardware (outdated models).

I ended up buying a Japanese laptop and installing English OS (yeah, costly, but cheaper than buying an equivalent English laptop from one of the DF stores).

Cheers, enjoy your stay in Tokyo.
by Rad (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/21 17:22
Hi Rad,
Just a follow on question. Did you not run to problems using the Japanese layout keyboard with your English operating system?
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/21 18:02
A Japanese keyboard will work just fine with an English OS. The only difference between a Japanese and international keyboard is that the Japanese one has a few extra keys to control the IME.

If you get a laptop with Vista / Windows 7 ultimate you can get alternative language packs from Windows update so you can change the OS from Japanese to English without having to install all over again.
by kcrackerg rate this post as useful

Laptop Purchase 2010/3/22 09:26
Hello!
Thanks for all the information. I am hoping there are people that would be able to clarify some further topic for people considering buying a netbook while in/traveling through Japan.

Japan's tech-market has the reputation of being ahead of the rest of the world. Is this true or myth?
If it is ahead, is it pointless to look for models currently on the US Market?

Do you have any sites that have good (netbook) comparisons of different products, comparisons that would include tech specs, etc... This way a foreigner would be able to see what is available in Japan, instead of looking for one particular product (currently on the US Market).

Also, how do prices compare to other countries? For example, is Japan cheaper than France (Prices in France are greater than those of the USA, especially accounting for the low USD exchange rate + France charges 19% sales-tax).

Do most Japanese purchase their laptops online or in stores? Are there any hardware issues (Keyboard, ac-adapter. etc...?) for use in other countries (by foreigners).
Could walk into a store and walk out with a qwerty netbook at a 'great price'? Or is it highly likely that one will get ripped-off and waste valuable time that should be spent doing more interesting things.

___a specific example___ 2010-03-22
I would like to purchase a netbook (Asus 1201N (US$490) with a dedicated graphics card and a duo-core processor. How does the Japanese market compare? Is this kind of product 'current' or 'old'. on the Japanese market?

thanks so much!
Roberto
by Jamexcel (guest) rate this post as useful

From past experience 2010/3/22 13:26
From past shopping experience, online purchases usually is cheaper than buying at shops - even the ones in Akihabara. I bought Digital camera and laptop online. I bought my Thinkpad only as there were promotions at the time. However it is still cheaper to buy Thinkpad in US rather than Japan. As for digital camera - it was cheaper about 10 - 20%. Online shopping to me is much easier as I do not need to incur extra cost of transportation and the shipping is free (not all online shops gives free shipping)

As for electronics - i found shopping in Korea and Taiwan cheaper!!

Bear in mind - when you buy at shops - besides they also include the cost of shop rental, utilities and also the salespersons salaries into their products. It is the same everywhere. Of course in Akihabara there is dutyfree shop - less 5% of tax.

Oh yeah - usually items that targets the foreigners - i.e english only laptops are more expensive than normal items. That's only my opinion. I bought mine with Japanese OS/keyboard.
by mk (guest) rate this post as useful

cheaper 2010/3/23 15:55
Japan's tech-market has the reputation of being ahead of the rest of the world. Is this true or myth?

For me, this is true. The latest models are often first introduced in Japan. Companies here often release new models at least once/twice per year.

Do you have any sites that have good (netbook) comparisons of different products, comparisons that would include tech specs, etc... This way a foreigner would be able to see what is available in Japan, instead of looking for one particular product (currently on the US Market).
Yes, www.kakaku.com compares products including the specs, reviews and the prices(from store websites and actual stores). However, I believe it's only in Japanese.

Do most Japanese purchase their laptops online or in stores?

I am not a Japanese but I have bought laptop and cameras online. Like the previous post, buying online saves transportation cost.
by laptop (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread