Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan at 17? 2010/3/13 11:33
I want to move to Japan and get a job. At my age is that even possible? I have my high school diploma already, And I speak Japanese fluently enough to under stand the basic conversations of daily Japan. In all for a job I really enjoy singing Japanese music, and would like to pursue it.

Can I get any advise on what to do??

Thank you!
by ID-iot-S (guest)  

visa 2010/3/13 14:11
You don't mention your nationality. If you are from a country where there is a working holiday agreement with Japan (Canada, Australia, NZ, UK and a few others but not the US), you can work and travel in Japan for a year (18 months for Australians) with that visa, but I believe you have to be 18 to apply.

If you are from the US or another country with no working holiday visa agreement with Japan, then I am afraid you are not eligible for a working visa. The minimum education requirement for a working visa is a bachelor's degree, or 3+ years work experience in the field you plan to work in while in Japan.

There is the entertainer's visa, but you need to set up someone (i.e. an employer) in advance to sponsor you and promise to pay you a certain amount while you are here, and unless you have an established music career in your home country and contacts here that seems unlikely. Entertainer's visas also tend to be very short- 3-6 months or so, which is the same time you are given for an ordinary tourist permit.

If you are serious about coming to Japan you should look at going to university and getting a degree, or the possibility of studying here.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread