Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

stuff I cant take with me cause of voltage 2010/3/15 03:17
my question may be stupid but I would prefer to know what should i expect, so I'm going to Japan in a few days and I can't take some stuff like hairdryer or straightener etc because of the voltage there, my question is whether I can buy some cheap stuff when I get there and what prices i should expect.
Thanks in advance for answers on my quite stupid question.
by Misha (guest)  

converter? 2010/3/15 11:24
You may buy converter, and you will be able to use your hairdryer in other countries. Of course you must buy one in your country.
by Yoshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Hairdryer 2010/3/15 12:49
Yes, you will be able to get a hairdryer just about anywhere.

As for bringing a hairdryer, if you come from a country that uses 220-240V, it is no use getting a converter(a transformer) here in Japan. For a hairdryer, you would need one rated at around 2000VA (2000W), which would probably weigh about 5kg (11 pounds), and cost 20,000 yen or more.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

about 200g 2010/3/15 14:02
Sandy

Really? When I went abroad, I brought a converter which weigh about 200g and cost about 3,000yen. Of course I could use my hairdryer.

where? 2010/3/15 14:20
Yoshi, where did you go?

where to where 2010/3/15 14:31
Yoshi,

Note that a voltage converter to go from a country with low voltage to one with high, i.e. Japan to Australia/parts of Europe, can be rather small and inexpensive as you describe, however if you go the other way around, Australia/parts of Europe to Japan, then the converters are significantly larger and more expensive. Also, high draw appliances like hair dryers need proportionally larger, heavier, and more expensive converters usually making it more practical to just buy a new one when you arrive at your destination.

More info on electricity in Japan can be found here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

That's right! 2010/3/15 15:01
yllwsmrf,

Yes, I've just remembered the same thing! I've completely misunderstood that.

Misha,

I'm sorry, forget about all I said.

. 2010/3/15 15:06
Misha, where are you coming from?
From US is not big deal except the plug. Hair dryer is a standard amenity at any ryokan/hotel in Japan.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

hair dryer 2010/3/15 15:47
From US is not big deal except the plug. Hair dryer is a standard amenity at any ryokan/hotel in Japan.

Some Americans report problems with their US hair dryers not being able to get as hot as they're capable of when used in Japan, so it may or may not be a concern to you. But amazinga is correct that it hair dryers are standard amenities in Japanese hotels so you may be able to go without your own. Also, you can get an idea of prices in Japan here:

http://www.amazon.co.jp

answer 2010/3/16 01:02
@amazinga I'm coming from Poland, we have 220-240V here

@yllwsmrf thanks for the rough guide about prices.
I'm going to stay in rented apartment so unfortunately hotels are not a choice for me which means I will have to buy stuff
by Misha (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/3/16 04:45
Yllwsmrf writes the following some post back. "Note that a voltage converter to go from a country with low voltage to one with high, i.e. Japan to Australia/parts of Europe, can be rather small and inexpensive..." Maybe i misunderstand this but i have different view.

Going from high voltage (your own country) lets say 220-240 volt, to a low voltage (100-120 volt) there are basically two approaches:
1) transformer which are very heavy and costly or 2) an adapter (thyristor or so) which is light and not so costly.
From a transformer you can run everything (hairdryers, radio's computers). Especially a hair dryer (1000-2000Watt) needs a heavy transformer. The higher the wattage the heavier/bigger/costly the transformer.
From the other adapter (thyrister) it is only safe to run hair dryers/water heaters.
I would suggest to buy locally a cheap hairdryer. Note most hotels have hairdryers and water heaters or you can get hot water. Also most electronic equipment (telephone charger, computer etc) can handle all voltages but please check this to make sure.

Going from a low voltage country (100-120v) to a high voltage country the only way to go is using a transformer (costly/heavy). Nowadays you have some electronic converters that raise the voltage but these are still expensive (and have some weight). Again i would buy locally a throw away hairdryer. Keep also in mind that most hotels have a 110V plug for low wattage devices (shaver, telephone charger).

Formally you have also to watch the frequency (50 vs 60Hz) but I would not worry that much about this.

Lastly you have to check the type of plug that is used. An advise is (if you can connect a plug to a cord) to bring an extension cord (2 meter or so) with multiple sockets from your own country. Cut of the plug, Buy locally a local plug (cheap) and connect this to the cord. This gives you the extra benefit to have more sockets available (there are always too few sockets for your computer, telephone, camera battery charger etc, in the hotel room and they are always (Murphyfs law) hidden out of where you want them).
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

travel hairdryer? 2010/3/16 07:46
There are also travel hairdryers which are small and have the option to switch the voltage- maybe one of those rather than an expensive transformer?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

So ... 2010/3/16 09:00
.... instead of buying a transformer or whatever I think it would make more sense getting the appliances you need over here in Japan. I mean, a hairdryer does not cost more than 3.000 or something like taht 'maybe even cheaper!). So, check the electric appliances stores once you come to Japan. It will save you money and weight!!
by kulachan rate this post as useful

transformers 2010/3/16 11:04
B. Slager,

I think we are pretty much saying the same things. The only thing is that the average person is probably better off just purchasing a plug adapter than cutting off and replacing plugs. The cost is about the same, its a whole lot safer, and you can use the extension cord when you return home.

Also, after doing some price comparison it seems that a travel hairdryer like Sira recommended would probably be the best choice. They're can be just as inexpensive as other cheap hairdryers and have the added benefit that they aren't completely useless when you return to your home country.

same 2010/3/16 13:18
I was mentioning the same sort of figures before:

"As for bringing a hairdryer, if you come from a country that uses 220-240V, it is no use getting a converter(a transformer) here in Japan. For a hairdryer, you would need one rated at around 2000VA (2000W), which would probably weigh about 5kg (11 pounds), and cost 20,000 yen or more."

reply to this thread