Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Re-usable nappies (diaper) in Japan 2010/3/17 02:22
Hi this question is for any mums who use reusable nappies and live japane. I am currently in the uk and I want to try reusables and that is fine here because I can do the recommended 60-90degree hot wash to keep them nice and clean, however, Ive not known any washing machines in japan that do a hot wash its all cold water!!? So ill be going back to Japan 3- 4 months after the baby is born but I dont want to spend money on the reusables (quite expnsive if you dont use long-term) and not be able to use them in japan. Please any advice is welcome, ty.
by Newmum (guest)  

... 2010/3/18 07:41
Their are no hot water washing machines in Japan unless you go to a laundrymat.

Even still, reusables (nuno-omutsu) are fairly common in Japan.

It just involves most work because diapers have to be hand washed, then machine washed, and then sun dried (natural disinfection).

In the end, you have to determine if you have the time and living environment to support reusables.

They do have their own cost/environmental profile so it really comes down to personal choice and feasibility.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

nappies 2010/3/18 08:23
A bit of research on this topics tells me that hot water washing machines do not usually heat the water enough to have a sanitising effect anyway- it's just a myth that they do. Apparently dryers are hot enough to have a sterilising effect, but they are not common in Japan unless you buy a washing machine with the dryer built-in. As above, plenty of people, including friends of mine, use cloth nappies here. Hanging them in the sun is supposed to kill a lot of germs.

I can remember my mother back in New Zealand doing something with boiling water when washing the nappies after my youngest brother was born, but I was only 8 so my memories of that are a bit hazy!

Maybe have a lok around on the internet for info on washing nappies in cold water- there seems to be plenty of discussion on the topic on different sites.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Don't you have Napi-san? 2010/3/18 09:07
If nappies are cleaned first, then soaked in a solution of Napi-san or other brand of Nappy pre wash (it's actually a type of bleach) it's perfectly OK to wash in less than boiling water and was the regular method here in Australia before disposables took over. I can't remember the time you are supposed to soak them for - that could be an issue if you are travelling.

Drying in the sun helps too (but not too much or they end up like cardboard lol.)
by nozomi (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/18 10:55
Newmum,

First of all, it's not that only "cold" water machines are available, but most washing machines in Japan only accept temprature up to about 40 degrees centigrate, and a typical Japanese faucet, be it the one for the washing machine or the one for the kitchen only provides water up to 60 degrees C.

As for cloth diapers, as suggested, most users soak them in diaper detergent which is also suppose to kill germs to a certain extent. Those who are more "ecology conscious" use citric acid and baking soda instead both available at drug stores.

There are also buckets especially designed for soaking cloth diapers. They are devided in two so that you can separate diapers between those with feces and those without them.

These are the informations I've up-dated so far through the internet. As for myself, the last time I used cloth diapers was 18 years ago, and of all the hard time I had raising my baby, the cloth diapers part was among the easiest. The only reason I stopped using them is because my baby had skin problems and the only spot his skin was rash-free was the part under his disposable paper diapers.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Very helpful 2010/3/18 22:29
Thank you all very much for these responses. I really just wanted to know if it was feasable to use these reusables in Japan and obviously it is. I will get DH to look at these products such as the soaking solution that you mentioned on japanese websites for me. I was already adament that I wanted to give them a go but my mum put me off by saying the water had to be almost boiling in order to remove stains. Again, thx all for your time :)
by Newmum (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread