Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Misdelivered mail - what to do? 2010/3/17 12:15
I received a letter that seems to be from a bank or finance company with figures, like a receipt or payment advice.

However, when I looked again, the address is correct, but the name is, I guess, the previous tenant (Japanese/kanji).

What should I do? I don't always see my mailman to explain and return in person.

Is it ok to pop it into a mail box with explanation written on the envelope?

In which case, could someone kindly let me know appropriate wording in kanji so I can cut and paste (e.g. 'Opened in error. No longer at this address').

Thanks
by Joe (guest)  

Yes 2010/3/17 20:53
Yes, you can either pop it into a public mail box with explanation written on the envelope, or if there is a secured place beside your home mail box, you can put it there.

Write the following phrase on a piece of paper and attach it on the envelope with a rubber band or something;

この住所に、この名前の人はいません。
("kono juusho ni kono namae no hito wa imasen." meaning no person by this name lives at this address.)

You should also put your name up near your mail box so that the delivery people will know the name of the person living there. When they see that the names don't match, they will take the mail back.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/3/18 19:34
Thanks Uco. All done.

Although, can you believe it, I received another (Tax refund hagaki) today for someone who presumably lived here before me - 7 years ago! Twilight Zone...

What's going on...?
by Joe (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread