Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese won't reply bacause of this? 2010/3/18 17:25
I've heard from my teacher in my Japanese language class that she says when someone in their family died they won't reply to any type of messaging that's get to them for a year. Is it true? Because my teacher told me that her foster family did not reply her nengajyou (new year card) until the next year because her foster father dies.
by Muaz  

Nengajo 2010/3/18 18:07
I've heard from my teacher in my Japanese language class that she says when someone in their family died they won't reply to any type of messaging that's get to them for a year. Is it true?

Not entirely. When someone dies in your family you don't send out nengajo, but that doesn't necessarily apply to other correspondence.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

mochu (in mourning) 2010/3/18 18:59
Traditionally a death has been regarded as the most ominous matter, in Japan. And New Year should be celebrated with happiness.
So, it has been considered as improper that a family of a deceased sends Nengajo (New Year card).

By the way, at the end of year, sometimes we receive a card that says as follows.
"Sorry. We can't send Nenagajo because we are in mourning."
Of course, you either should not send Nengajo to them.
by nenga (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes and No 2010/3/18 20:40
Muaz,

It's like this. When a parent dies, typically, you are to be in mourning for a year.

When you are in mourning, you are not supposed to be involved in happy occasions. Most people wouldn't want to anyway.

New Years is concidered a happy occasion. When you are in mourning, you don't send New Year cards, and you don't say "Happy New Year!" On January 1st, you just stay with your family and have a quiet day.

As mentioned, usually, when you are in mourning you send out simple notices in December telling people you won't be sending New Years cards. Those who received the notice aren't supposed to send New Years cards to the person in mourning either. You don't want to send happy cards to people who wish to spend their days quietly.

Let's say a person named Taro's father died. Taro sends a notice to Hanako telling he won't send New Years cards. But Hanako forgot all about it and accidentally sends a New Years card to Taro. Taro is supposed to ignore the card. He will not send any replies to Hanako, because it will only embarrass her once she realizes she had made a mistake.

Let's say Taro's father died, but for some reason he didn't send any notices. Naturally, Hanako will send a New Years card to Taro. In this case, Taro will not respond by sending a New Years card. Instead, after a few weeks he can send a plain season's greetings telling Hanako that he will not be sending New Years cards due to mourning.

Does this make sense?
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

But.. 2010/3/19 21:07
Is the mourning year will affect other types of messages like e-mail or something?( except business stuff). I actually concern about my Japanese friend that I know from this website. She haven't reply to my message. So I thought that she have the same problem.
by Muaz rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/19 21:55
Muaz,

Is the mourning year will affect other types of messages like e-mail or something?

Yes.

She haven't reply to my message. So I thought that she have the same problem.

I don't think she has the same problem.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/19 23:54
If the e-mail was Heppy New Year kind of thing, yes, it might not be replied. Ideally your friend should have e-mailed you the notice in December. If it was just a regular e-mail, the reason can be something else. Did you hear from her after the loss? It could be that she is taking it very hard.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks Guys. 2010/3/20 21:15
She replied to me today. (Finally!)
Its good because she didn't have this type of problem though. Anyway, thanks for reply to this question.
by Muaz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread