Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need to write my name in Japanese 2010/3/19 00:09
Hi, I have had some problems writing my name in Kanji, because some of the sounds are note used in japanese language. Can yo help me out ?
Best regards Henning Wibrand (pronounsed He-nin Vi-bran)
by Fromdenmark  

Name in Japanese 2010/3/19 10:56
Henning,

Western names are not normally written using kanji.
If you don't sound the "d" at the end of your name, it would probably best be written as "ヘニン・ビブラン" (Henin Biburan).
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

need to write my name in Japanese 2010/3/20 02:24
-----because some of the sounds are note used in japanese language. Can yo help me out ?
Best regards Henning Wibrand (pronounsed He-nin Vi-bran)-----

I see your problem.
Letter 'W' is pronounced differently in Japan as well as in United States. W is pretty much pronounced as ウ(う)as in Wilson in Japan, United States, etc.
In your country as well as Swiss, German etc 'W' is pronounced sort of like bi, va..etc
This may complicate the Japanese for trying to understand your name pronunciation. Japanese will probably try to say
Wibrand as Uibulan or ウィブラン as how letter W is pronounced in name Wilson.
ヘニン ウィブラン = Henning Wibland
Kanji is not used to write the foreign names in Japan. However, Chinese language will tell you otherwise. People often think Japanese kanji is same as Chinese characters used in China.
by UMI (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread