Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working visa required before applying? 2010/3/19 01:17
Hello everyone

I am currently on a college student visa, & will finish my graduate degree in a year's time. I've done some baito teaching English to kindergarten & elementary school children. I must say I enjoy it very much, & would like to explore the possibility of becoming a full-time English teacher for kids. I understand going full-time is much tougher, with much bigger workload, but would like to at least explore the possibility.

While browsing through some English teaching jobs online, other than the normal requirements (native-level English, university degree, currently living in Japan, loves children, etc), I noticed that the schools also require applicants to have a working visa. I thought we apply for the working visa after we get the job offer letter, with the school as the sponsor. If we do need a working visa before applying for a job, then how does one go about getting a visa without an offer letter? Kind of like a chicken & egg problem - need a working visa to apply for a job, need a job offer letter to apply for a working visa.

Thank you in advance for the responses.
by justme (guest)  

... 2010/3/19 11:03
the schools also require applicants to have a working visa

The way you understand the procedures is correct.

Requirement like the one you see means they are trying to avoid the trouble of sponsoring someone completely anew for a work visa, but prefer to hire someone who has already been teaching in Japan on a work visa (sponsored by someone else) and just wants to switch employers.

They *might* make exceptions for applicants with great track record (you have been teaching already part-time, right?), so if you find a school that you really like, you could try with your resume.
by AK rate this post as useful

Naruhodo 2010/3/20 00:17
I see. Thank you, AK.
Then, I'll try sending in my resume anyway. Hopefully they'll take a chance on me.
I think I read somewhere that the cost of sponsoring is not that high (if the company does it themselves, not through a lawyer). The real concern for employers is that the newly sponsored employee may leave out of the blue for another company/school, leaving the employer to sponsor someone who isn't working for them.
by justme (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread