Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

American tax refund 2010/3/19 16:13
I am living in Japan, and my sister just sent me my tax refund check through the mail. However, my husband told me he doesn't think my bank or postal account in Japan will cash it for me. I don't have a bank in america, and I am not going back there. Can someone please give m some suggestions as to how I might get it cashed? Are there any American banks in Japan that might cash my check?
by Jen (guest)  

Checks 2010/3/19 17:41
You won't be able to cash checks in Japan for most banks. (At least this was the case about three years ago when I was in a similar situation.) I actually took the check home with me later and cashed it.

The one exception I could think of is Citibank only because it seems like they're somewhat connected with their American counterparts. Even so though, it's going to cost you a significant fee.

Why not just mail your check back and have a friend/relative deposit it into your account for you?
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

I found a couple of possibilities. 2010/3/19 21:33
I don't think I can have someone cash a tax refund check for me in America even if I sign it because they are not me. You also need to show a picture ID to cash it. I found a bank in Tokyo called Banco de Brasil that someone recommended on another site. They said it only cost 200 yen to cash the check. However, I don't know how long it takes to clear the check. Someone else recommended Citi Bank in Tokyo, but I've heard they charge more. Some people have said you have to wait 21 days for it to clear. Has anyone else have experience in dealing with Citi Bank or Banco de Brasil in tokyo? I am wondering how long it would take to get my check cashed if I choose banco de Brasil.
by Jen (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/20 13:04
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/20 16:31
Cant you just sign it over to someone else on the back of the check? Then you can post it back to someone in the US who can deposit it into their account and transfer the money to you.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

check 2010/3/21 09:43
just write the following on the back of the check.
pay to the order of - your sisters name or who ever
sign your name below it . they should have no problem cashing it.
by wds (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread