Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Free water in restaurants? 2010/3/22 05:12
Hi, I'm wondering if you can ask for regular ("tap") water in restaurants as your (free) beverage. This is the norm in US restaurants, but in Europe I nearly went bankrupt buying bottles of water in restaurants.

What is the water-culture in Japanese restaurants? Is it considered rude not to order a beverage that costs money? (we are not really alcohol drinkers so that's not the issue for us)

Thanks!
by Neandergal (guest)  

Free water 2010/3/23 22:29
Neandergal,

I'm wondering if you can ask for regular ("tap") water in restaurants as your (free) beverage.

In Japan, you rarely need to ask, as free glasses of water are normally placed on the table before you even order.

Is it considered rude not to order a beverage that costs money?

No problem at all.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/24 01:53
When you enter a restaurant and sit down, the waitress(most of time) will bring the water w/ menu, if there is one or when taking your order. Some ramen shops or fast food noodle shops/restaurants may have a water/cold tea pitcher and glasses on the counter for self service. The water served is much better than what you get in the US or any other places in the world. The straight tap water is rarely served. The clear water is at least filtered and many places serve "kangen Water"(google for it). Many places also serve cold or warm mugicha or genmaicha(barley or roasted rice tea, brownish in color). Sushi restaurants usually serve green tea but you can ask for a glass of water.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/3/24 05:01
enormously helpful!
by Neandergal (guest) rate this post as useful

This may help a bit. 2010/3/24 11:13
You can take any empty table at restaurant. You don't have to wait at the entrance for someone to direct you and can go directly to the table/counter. But usually someone will direct you immediately upon entering w/ Irashymase, (welcome) shouting. And when you are ready to leave, take the bill that came with the food(or ask below) to the cash register at the exit. You don't pay at the table(nor leave any tip, a big saving, and the tax is included in the bill except at a higher end restaurant or expensive bills. If you don't, you will be waiting forever that they think you are not ready to leave.
A few words so you sound like a local.
oHiya=cold water (emphasis on Hi, as in Hilton
Agari=green tea at sushi restaurant
Okanjo=the bill

. 2010/3/24 11:17
You can take any empty table at restaurant. You don't have to wait at the entrance for someone to direct you and can go directly to the table/counter.

Depends on the place. Many will say anywhere, others will direct you to a spot to sit, especially if they are busy and have reservations.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Had free tap water in Paris 2010/3/24 15:46
I remember that, at least in Paris, it was okay to ask for free drinking water, only that they give you tap water in a glass which is, as mentioned, not as good as the free water you get in Japan or the U.S.. So foreign tourists in Europe like me end up drinking expensive bottled water. Also for this reason, when a foreign tourist asks for free water in Paris, they take a second look at you until you confirm that it's okay for them to bring tap water.

But, hopefully needless to say, even in Japan, you have to order something non-free when you enter a restaurant. You can't just drink the free water or free tea and leave.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

is tap water drinkable? 2010/3/24 18:37
is the tap water from hotel faucet drinkable?
by valerie (guest) rate this post as useful

Water is different on every body 2010/3/24 23:59
Valerie,

Tap water from hotel faucet is usually drinkable, but it's safer to confirm when you're checking in. There usually is a sign in the room, but it's usually in Japanese.

But then, keep in mind that water is different on every body. I knew some visitors from the U.S. who had slight stomach problems in which they assumed came from the tap water in Tokyo, and they decided to stick to bottled water.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

tap water is safe 2010/3/25 08:19
Basically tap water here is drinkable, including from hotels. It has a slight chemical taste from the chemicals used to treat it- you will find this in any developed country. Tokyo tap water is apparently quite hard, so this may give it a different taste to people who are used to softer water.

People who have sensitive stomachs may get a slight stomach upset when arriving in a foreign country even when that country is developed and has perfectly safe tap water- this usually isn't because of microbes in the water, it's just a reaction to different water, different food, time differences and stress from some culture shock.

However, many people will think it is the water. I had a slightly upset stomach for about 3 weeks on first arriving in Japan- I put it down to all of the above.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/25 08:35
Hotel or any tap water is safe but tastes terrible straight from the faucet. Every room has a induction type water heater or an electric hot water pot that has the chlorine purge setting(boiling off). Then it becomes at least drinkable.

Tap water 2010/3/25 19:20
Yes, the tap water in hotels is fine and very safe to drink, but like others have said, it has a strong chemical smell from the chemicals they use to clean it.

Some restaurants have a water filter (like one that plugs into a wall!) that you use to refill your water, and like others have said, they bring a pitcher or jug of water to your table in most ramen restaurants.
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

It was easier for me to remember.. 2010/3/26 19:55
Here is some kinda bad japenglish.. XD

I would just ask for :
O-cha ( Oh-cha) - Green tea, usually people thought it was cute because I think it means honorable tea. Usually surprised, but they gave me green tea. Also for cold green tea, I asked for Ice-su Oh-cha.

Ice-su Mizu ( say it with a z not s) - for Cold water.

Again, if you can't remember anything else.. These stuck in my mind. They aren't very proper or exact, but got what I wanted most of the time.
by mel (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread