Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching or Hospitality? 2010/3/25 07:58
Well, first off...I'd like to make it known that I am a 21-year-old, looking to start college soon. But I can't decide between a degree in Early Childhood Education, or Hospitality Management. I plan to move to Japan (expecting to stay there). I wonder if anyone could answer some questions I have concerning both?

Option 1: Early Childhood Education

* Are people with this type of degree often able to get jobs at junior and senior high schools as well as preschools?

* Is teaching English a career that I could keep in Japan? Would I be able to teach even when I'm 55?

* How might a teacher that's known to be a lesbian looked upon? If someone at the school found out about me, would I risk getting fired?

* Lastly, suppose I got quite a few years of teaching under my belt and spoke great Japanese. Would I have a chance at breaking free of the 'English-teaching' position and be just a general teacher of art, math, etc?

* Is it common for a regular Japanese school to offer an English class, but not specialize in it? Would I have to be very experienced to snag that sort of position?

Bear with me, guys!!

Option 2: Hospitality Management

* First off, is there much demand for native English-speakers at hotels and restaurants?

* Would I be able to advance my career very far, as a foreigner?

I guess it's obvious which area I'm most interested in. If anyone can give me their opinions or advice, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks so much! :)
by Niskish (guest)  

*_* 2010/3/26 10:22
"Niskish", hi there and let me try to answer at least some of your questions. I am sure more comments will come:

Option 1: Early Childhood Education

* Are people with this type of degree often able to get jobs at junior and senior high schools as well as preschools?

There are some kindergartens and/or schools looking for native English teachers from time to time. But of course those jobs are very limited.

* Is teaching English a career that I could keep in Japan? Would I be able to teach even when I'm 55?

I am hitting 53 and have been teaching here for the past 19 years (same schools). I guess I will be teaching until retirement. Is it a carer? Well, salaries are more or less the same (seems there is a monopoly??). But living countryside - well, you can survive. Also be aware that competition is pretty strong - lots of people who want to come to the "land-of-the-not-always-rising-sun" and not enough positions.

* How might a teacher that's known to be a lesbian looked upon? If someone at the school found out about me, would I risk getting fired?

I have not heard of any problems so far. I know two male (Japanese) teachers who are gay and they still got their job, even though everyone knows. So you probably would not have to worry!

* Lastly, suppose I got quite a few years of teaching under my belt and spoke great Japanese. Would I have a chance at breaking free of the 'English-teaching' position and be just a general teacher of art, math, etc?

Guess you would need a Japanese teaching license. You might want to check the internet for more information.

Well, guess that's all I can tell you, so please wait for more (qualified) answers to come.
by kulachan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread