Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to be able to move to japan 2010/3/29 09:00
So I am currently 23, and am wanting to move to japan. I have been doing a lot of research and teaching english ''SEEMS'' to be really the only way. Lets Japan forum seems really negative on the whole teaching in japan thing. So I am looking for unbiased info that gives the good and the bad.

And even if teaching is tight, what if I got a degree in speaking japaneses and moved over there. Would that open the door to more possibilites?

I would like to teach, but if there is other things are fine also. The money to move there isn't going to be a problem. I could have enough money saved up to survive for half a year or more. I do not plan on going for another couple years.

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers
by Clandest (guest)  

Degree 2010/3/30 06:25
Do you already have a 4 year degree? If not, start working on it. A degree in Japanese Language definately would not hurt, it would most likely be a big bonus. But if you havent started yet, you have 4 years to work out all the other details!
by cf (guest) rate this post as useful

first the degree 2010/3/30 07:48
You will need a bachelor's degree just to get a working visa here, so that's the first thing to think about if you haven't graduated university. If you want to do something other than teaching, a degree in Japanese only isn't going to be all that helpful- most other jobs for non-Japanese here are in the finance and IT fields, so you will need skills and qualifications in those areas if you want that kind of job.

The reason Let's Japan seems negative is because it's a site which tries to expose the schools and employers which take advantage of foreign teachers- not paying them the salary they promised, changing contract clauses, insisting they do a lot of unpaid overtime and many other things that unscrupulous employers do actually do here.

For perhaps a more balanced view, and lots of info about what you have asked, have a look at the Japan forum on www.eslcafe.com , Make sure you look through past questions before you ask yours as it's a very common one. Also Ohayosensei.com, and also try searching "teaching English in Japan" on this site as your question has been asked countless times here as well.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/3/30 09:00
I have an associates degree in graphic design and animation. So I can go back to school and turn that into a bachelors. I would like to think that that type of degree would be semi useful in japan since they are so advertise and website heavy.

I would like to use teaching as getting my foot in the door and go from there. I will have no problem being able to save enough money to survive for half a year or more w/o work. But I do want to have everything all lined up first so I do not have to resort to living without a flow of income.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.
by Clandest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread