Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting paid/ International Bank 2010/4/2 09:11
I hear all this stuff about being a residence in Japan to open a bank account but is there some kind of international bank for foreigners to open? Maybe to help me out more, can you somehow send the money you make in japan electronically to your home bank and just use your visa debit card in japan? if you cant get a bank as a student exchange while working part time how do you get the money? I dont think they pay you straight cash right?
by BrianKwak808  

... 2010/4/2 11:55
If you are going to be/if you are an exchange student, you will have an address in Japan, right? And you will apply for and get an Alien Registration Card, right? With that, you should be able to open a bank account. You could try maybe Shinsei Bank (foreigner-friendly) or Japan Post bank.

No employer for a part-time job is going to pay in the money into a foreign bank for you - that involves too much of a remittance fee. If it's a restaurant helper kind of job, they might even pay you in cash.
by AK rate this post as useful

banks 2010/4/2 12:18
If you have a student visa or similar you are considered a resident in Japan so you can of course open a bank account. As AK says, there is a large fee to send money to overseas bank accounts- at least 5,000 yen each time from normal banks, so that would be a huge waste of money.

Just open an account once you have your alien registration card, it's quite simple.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread