Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are Japanese roads actually named? 2010/4/2 11:44
I've been living in Kumamoto and have no clue how to get around on foot.

From what I've seen, none of the roads are named so thus far I've been going along with landmarks.
However, in the part of Kumamoto where I live, all the houses and the roads look the same to me and it's hard to find particularly outstanding landmarks.

It's like there IS a logic to getting around but I just can't see it myself (yet).
Please can anyone help?

As an aside, where is it possible for me to buy a map of Kumamoto?

Thanks
by selbydate16 (guest)  

. 2010/4/2 13:16
Only cities that have the logical address numbering are Kyoto and Sapporo only. Any other cities/towns/villages are based on the first built basis numbered a long time ago except new subdivision/redistricting.
Get a map at usual places like tourist info. center, book store, gas station shop, etc., etc.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

landmarks 2010/4/2 15:30
As mentioned, people get around by knowing the address and finding it on a map. Nowadays you've got the automatical Google Map and Google Street View to help you.

But when telling someone the way to get to your place, you always tell them the landmarks to look for when making turns. For example, you'd say, "At the station, get out from the East Exit, turn right and go straight. There is a Seven Eleven on that street. Turn left at the second corner." blah, blah. It's not like you can just say, "Drop by. We're on Catalina and Orange Grove."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread