Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Express delivery and other questions 2010/4/5 12:50
Please bear with me - this is quite long.
A friend of mine - who's moving out from his halls of residence to a homestay on Saturday - wants me to send him some DVDs.

It's now almost 1pm and I'm going to an emergency orientation at 2 and will most likely not be able to get back before 5pm.

I know the post office is open till 7pm on weekdays but I've got some questions:

1. What's the Japanese phrase for express delivery?
2. According to him, if I send them today they should arrive at his halls on Friday. I, however, think they won't arrive at their destination before Saturday. Where would you suggest I deliver them to?
3. The content will be fragile - what should I ask for?
4. Do Jiffy envelopes (padded ones) exist in Japan?

Many thanks
by selbydate16  

... 2010/4/5 13:40
1. You can say "Sokutatsu de okuritai" (I'd like to send express), "ichiban hayai houhou de"(please send via the fastest method), or ask for EMS, which is a specific post office service.

2. Delivery depends on a lot of things, most importantly shipment and delivery locations. But most domestic mail on the main island (excluding Okinawa or Hokkaido) takes 1-4 business days or faster with the above methods.

3. Just tell the teller "waremono ga haitte imasu" (fragile items included).

4. Yes. Often you can buy your packaging from the post office if you don't have an office depot or similar store nearby.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

reply to this thread