Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan University right after high school 2010/4/8 01:20
Hello,
I am currently a 10th grade high school student in America (I will be in 11th grade in 2 months). I am completely set on going university in Japan for Robotics/computer engineering. I would like to go right after high school. I might go as a privately financed and I will apply for the MEXT scholarship as well. I am applying to these universities:
Keio University
Tokyo Institute of Technology
Osaka University
Toyohashi University of Technology
Waseda University
Tokyo University
I have done a ton a research on them and how to apply. I have contacted them too. They do have programs for Undergraduate Students.
As for as for my Japanese, I am taking JLPT 2 this year (I will take JLPT 1 in December 2011). I went to Japan for 3 weeks as an exchange student and I am planning on enrolling in Japanese International School (Seiritsu Gakuen) this December, maybe. I can understand and read Japanese pretty well (I read tons of Japanese Entertainment magazines) and I can understand new broadcasts. I am also fluent in Spanish and Portuguese.
Has anyone gone to the universities I mentioned or are you a student at a Japanese University? Can you explain how to apply?
I basically want to know more on how this would work.
Thank you :)
by Haruka Yuunagi  

im on keio 2010/4/9 00:16
Well, sounds nice what you are doing. You already did a lot of research and you are somebody wo is learnign Japanese beside this Manga-stuff every otaku claims for being enough to go abroad.
i think you still have time to check the above mentioned universities, but let me tell you, check the study fees! im keio student (exchange, but planning on a real master/graduate course in around 1-2 years) now, so i checked for my stuff.

I recommand: check the websites of your universities for: Application, Fee, Obligational stuff.
And keep in mind it can differ from subject to subject, as technical subjects at Keio are expensive (eg: Faculty of letters undergrad: 1.200.000 yen a year, mechanical engeneering 1.600.000 Yen a year).
But there is a possibility of reduction for about 30 % of the fees. Don't know in detail yet.

Check these stuff in the next year and plan to have applications ready about one year bevor you want to start.
AND: Japanese university's entrence year for new enrollment always is April!!

For more specific questions you always can write me a PN, but keep in mind I don't look at this website everyday, maybe 3 times a week or twice... ^^
by shunima rate this post as useful

Public and Private 2010/4/9 01:19
You might want to consider to choose public universities as the tuition fees are usually cheaper than private. Example of good but private univ are Waseda and Keio.

If you are able to secure MEXT scholarship - it does not matter much as they cover the tuition fees.

You might also want to decide on the area you want to live at. If you love history and culture and less hectic lifestyle, maybe you should give universities near Kyoto and Osaka a try. Furthermore if you want to increase the chances for scholarship or at least tuition fees reduction - do try to check other good but maybe less well known in comparison to tokyo universities etc. Some of the universities might be interested in ensuring a certain number of foreign students - hence scholarships or reduction in tuition fees.
by mk (guest) rate this post as useful

I looked up tuition before 2010/4/9 03:53
Thanks for the reply :)
I did check the tuition before hand so I know it's costly. Keio is pretty expense but Tokyo tech and University of Tokyo are about 6,000 dollars. All of the universities have scholarships and I will apply.
I think they have dorms for international students. I have friends in Tokyo so they could probably help me.
I am really interested in MEXT but it's pretty competitive but I feel I'll be fine.
Has anyone out there gotten MEXT?
How hard is it to get into the universities I metioned?
Thanks again :3
by Haruka Yuunagi rate this post as useful

Also 2010/4/9 05:06
Dont forget money for your dorm/apartment and food etc...
by LB (guest) rate this post as useful

I have a list already 2010/4/9 12:49
Yeah I have taken it into consideration.
I have a nifty little notebok will all the costs
by Haruka Yuunagi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread