Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

divorce certificate from Japan? 2010/4/9 23:53
I am a US citizen and my ex wife is a Japanese citizen. She filed for and was granted divorce in Japan. How can I get a certificate of final divorce decree from Japan? Preferably, translated to English as the document I signed was.
by bnh  

Divorce in Japan 2010/6/15 11:33
I have the same problem, I`m a brazilian citizen and my ex american, he obtained the divorce in Japan 2 years ago and you won`t believe it...I talked to a secretary from the closest city ward to where I live and he told me that the only way to obtain a copy or information on the japanese divorce applied by my partner in Japan would be knowing the exact city ward the supposed divorce was filed. They declared they didn`t keep information on divorces in every city ward offices in Japan except for the individual`s marital status and If that person is registered as divorced, the only information they keep in file is the date that divorce was acquired however the local is not mentioned so thereLs no way you can have a copy of that divorce unless your ex-spouse tells you where she acquired for it so you can call them to request your copy OR If you find it by calling and asking every single city ward you suspect the divorce was obtained with and request a copy of the divorce.
by Ayumi (guest) rate this post as useful

divorce 2010/6/15 12:00
Isn't the divorce filed in the same city or ward that your marriage was registered in? Either there or where your spouse's koseki is registered would be the places to start looking.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

divorce 2010/6/16 01:57
A foreigner married to a Japanese citizen or a matrimony of both foreigners from different countries living in Japan can obtain a divorce with the japanese authorities by just claimming for it at the closest city ward to where you live in Japan. They don`t request documents so only one of the parties can file for it by simply finding a way to the other party sign the document and affirming to the officials that both want the divorce. My ex and I were already living separated by the time he consummated that divorce so I donLt know what areas he might have lived in Japan after the separation. In this way, as the assistent I talked to adviced me, I called many city wards I suspected he might have requested it however I couldn`t find it. The stressful part was to have to explain to every secretary on the phone from every city ward office I called, why I was asking them If my divorce was taken there or not and the worst part is that recently I found out my ex also obtained a fraudulent divorce in Hawaii which he succeeded having possession of it by lying under penalty of perjury to a judge in Hawaii that we didn`t have kids (even though our son has both Brazialian and US birth certificates and both passports mentioning him as the father) so its been 2 years that he hasn`t paid any cent for child support although itLs clear he is the father.

divorce 2010/6/16 02:06
In my case I`m second generation of japaneses so my koseki doesn`t include my ex-husband. In your case, as you mentioned your ex-wife was Japanese you might be able to request a copy of her koseki by giving to the a city ward`s officer her last name. I have the address of a forum which provides copies of koseki by post mail also If you like however thereLs a fee you have to check with them how to make the payment.

reply to this thread