Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Native Level. 2010/4/12 23:43
Please I have a question of the "Japanese: Native Level".
I had started to search IT-jobs, after I finish my master here in Japan. (specially in Ecentral)

My question is:
When some job is posted as "Japanese : Native Level" it means "NO FOREIGNERS. ONLY JAPANESE PROFESSIONALS"?.
I'm asking this, because I'm studying really hard for the JLPT-1 , in the assumption that "native level" means having at least the JLPT-1.
Please any comment will be appreciated.
by Mario (guest)  

Native-level speaking 2010/4/13 10:31
In my experience with such job ads, it means that the speaking ability of the applicant must be that of a native Japanese person. This can be achieved by foreigners, but level 1 of the JLPT would be the absolute minimum level required for such a job.
If your level is not that of a Japanese, the chances of being hired would be extremely slim.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

meaning of "native level" 2010/4/13 14:30
JLPT 1 is considered "business level" rather than "native level" in recruiting lingo here. "Native level" does not mean "no foreigners" because there are actually non-Japanese who speak Japanese at a native level.

I have JLPT 1 and I do not consider my Japanese to be "native level" as I still quite often come across kanji I can't read and vocab I am unfamiliar with.

However, if you have experience working in IT and can offer valuable skills to a potential employer, they may decide to offer you an interview with just JLPT 1. If you are only just starting work though it's unlikely that employers who ask for native level Japanese will consider you.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread