Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Debit card pin numbers starting with 0? 2010/4/15 05:14
My bank told me that I should probably make sure my debit card pin number does not start with 0 before I go to Japan. The problem is, one of my cards is for a bank that I don't live near anymore so I have no way to change my pin! But will this even be a problem in Japan? So far all I have heard is that ''some countries'' have ATM machines that wont accept cards with pins that start with zero, but I haven't been able to find any info as to whether or not this occurs in Japan.

Also, I don't know my credit card pin because I've never needed to use it (the only time I would ever need to know it is to do a cash advance out of an ATM) and my bank wont tell me the number unless I specifically ask for it. They are sending it to me in the mail now, but it might not get here before I leave for Japan. Is there any situation, other than an ATM machine, where I would need to know the PIN number for a credit card? (note this is NOT a check/debit/atm with a visa logo, its a real visa credit card)
by Zach (guest)  

. 2010/4/15 12:47
Most bank cards allow you to change to pin code by calling a telephone number, check the back of your card for a customer service number. Usually you don't need to actually go to the bank to change the pin code.

As for credit cards, I've used credit cards a lot in Japan, there hasn't been instances where I personally needed to use the credit card pin number. Japanese credit cards are a little different from say American credit cards so I think it's normal for Japanese credit card holders to know their pin.

As for starting with a zero, I never heard of any problems before.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/15 12:59
Your debit card should work here, at least at 7-eleven and the post office. My pin starts with 0 and I don't have any problems using the card.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread