Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Keeping a Japanese bank account open? 2010/4/16 21:57
Long story (as) short (as I can make it):

Have been living in northern Japan approximately 2 years, plan to move back to the US after another year.

Will marry with my Japanese fiance.

Will probably live/work in US, but of course will be coming back to Japan a lot due to my fiance.

My fiance is from Tokyo, so I was planning on opening up an account with a Tokyo bank-branch (Shinsei / UFJ maybe) since that is where I would be coming in the future.

So, my question is: Will these banks freeze and/or otherwise make life hard for me if I move out of Japan? Is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks in advance,

AJ
by AJ (guest)  

. 2010/4/17 11:30
Foreigners are supposed to close their accounts when they leave Japan. I don't know if the banks get informed by the city hall when you leave but my friend's account got frozen soon after he left, even though he never told the bank that he moved.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/4/17 12:04
This may be case by case depending on the bank.

I once left for two years but kept a few pennies in the account and it is still active today. This was with both the post office and SMBC.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

reply to this thread