Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Med school 2010/4/21 10:21
hey you guyz I have a question for you....

so i have lived in japan for a year and have been studying japanese for about 2.5 yrs

i was accepted to go into Sophia at the FLA. I will go for my major in business....but i have always wanted to medicine and at high school i took Ap biology and Honors Anatomy and a bunch of other science classes.

i was wandering i know you have to do a couple of yrs of liberal arts studies as part of becoming a doctor in japan so i somewhat have an oppurtunity to do this...
could i get my liberal arts degree than go to a med school like keio ? wouldnt that be 4 yrs liberal arts and 4 yrs med?

i know japan is having a huge demand for doctors and they have been letting SE Asians become nurses but there is no success of foreigners becoming doctors right....is it worth it or even feasible?

thank you!
by Acuma (guest)  

You sure? 2010/4/22 07:56
I don't think you have the right mind set.

First of all, Japan's educational system is completely different from America's. The medical school starts right after high school, which you get tested into it. As far as I am concerned, it is pretty difficult to transfer majors in Japan. Many people simply just drop out of college and re-test again later.

So maybe thinking about taking the test again next year?
by KY Steve rate this post as useful

.. 2010/4/22 09:29
Your chance of becoming an MD depends on the level of comprehension in Japanese language. You'll need to take the national exam in Japanese.

Go talk to a counselor at your school.
by tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

doctors 2010/4/22 10:13
There are foreign doctors practicing here- my dermatologist in Tokyo was Dutch, and a Dr. Leo King has a practice in Harajuku- but they had to pass all the tests in Japanese.

If you can pass the entrance test, all the coursework, and the licensing test in Japanese, then you can too- that's no small feat though.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread