Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where next? Job in Japan 2010/4/23 05:24
Hello Everyone.
Im 29 and taking a japanese course (including country history) with a Japanese Sensei and will get a certificate in the end. Ive been putting off learning "for real" for a long time because i dont really know where to go next. Im 29 and the interest in Japan has gone from fashion to a real passion.
Thing is, i dont know where to go next. I cant be a teacher because 1 - im not english and 2 - im not a teacher.
I will go for a month holiday first to get the real feeling but im not sure what to do then. Maybe i can get a job in a shop but im not sure how it goes for foreigners.
Anyone could share their experience? Not being japanese (or with a japanese partner) who moved on their own?
Thank you very much, Arigato.
by van (guest)  

coming to Japan 2010/4/23 11:37
You do not have to be English or a teacher to teach here. Most people who arrive to teach English do not have any experience or qualifications, however they are all from native English-speaking countries- I'm guessing you're not?

I'm afraid there is no working visa that allows foreigners to work in a shop- that kind of work is only possible if you are here on a spouse visa, student visa or similar.

If you have a university degree and experience in a field like IT or finance you may be hired to work in for example the Tokyo office of a foreign company.

If you have no degree (or many years experience in a field where there is a demand for foreign staff), then a working visa is not an option.

If your country has a working holiday visa arrangement with Japan then you are still within the age limit. If not, then you are really limited to a student visa, which will mean saving up quite a lot of money beforehand so you can pay for fees upfront. If you really do want to live in Japan though, this may be your on ly option .

Also do a search on this site for topics like "I want to live in Japan", as very similar questions to yours come up often here.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Good Luck 2010/4/23 14:04
Look into the Working Holiday ASAP as you will soon be too old to be eligible.

Even with this Visa, it is still difficult to find a job in Japan without a degree.

For example, I have 2 years English teaching experience, charge only 1000 yen an hour and still only have a handful of students.

Finding a 'normal' job in japan is also highly difficult without good Japanese. I have been turned down for jobs such as giving out tissues because I do not have native Japanese.

My advice is, get the best Visa you can, don't expect it to be easy and be as positive as you can - That's what I'm trying.
by Fred (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread