Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Junk Mail & Leaflets in mail box 2010/4/24 12:58
Hello all!

Living in Tokyo there seems to be a lot of junk mail/advertisements/etc. stuffed into my mailbox on a daily basis. Is there anyway to stop getting this? I believe in other countries you are able to put a note on your mailbox saying you do not wish to receive unsolicited mail (kind of like adding yourself to the do not call list). Is this possible in Japan?

Thanks!
by Miaowara  

... 2010/4/24 16:33
Many apartment buildings post up such signs by the mailboxes at the entrance, but the note tends to get ignored. The distributors that are walking from one building to another and putting the flyers into the mailboxes are normally part-timers, so they want to get rid of the flyers and get done with their job :(

You *could* put up a note with a somewhat stronger message ("those who violate will be reported to the police...") and see if anything changes.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/24 17:48
You can post a sticker on your mailbox to reject the junk mail. Half the people in my building has it on their mailbox. I don't have one so I don't know how effective they are.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Worth a try 2010/4/24 21:18
According to my experience, the stickers are quite effective to a certain degree.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/4/24 21:26
Hey, thanks so much for the replies!
These stickers, where can you find them?
by Miaowara rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/25 18:05
These stickers, where can you find them?

Everyone in my building has the exact same sticker, so I assume they got it from the building manager.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Stickers and Signs 2010/4/26 10:37
The city I live in (Yokohama) used to distribute stickers to reject junk mail of adult material. You might want to try asking your ward office. The Shohisha Center (Consumer Affairs Center) is also supposed to have stickers.
http://www.kokusen.go.jp/map/ncac_map13.html

Otherwise, DIY shops such as Tokyo Hands or Loft sells various signs to put on your door or car, so I assume they might have something worth while. Or you can just write it on a piece of paper, and stick it on your mail box, I guess.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks again! 2010/4/28 10:37
Excellent info Uco! I'll check out Tokyu Hands over Golden week (though I'll probably just be making my own sign in the end!).

Thanks again!
by Miaowara rate this post as useful

reply to this thread