Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can someone help me with a translation? 2010/4/26 11:32
I am trying to translate a few words to Kanji, and I believe that I have them right but I just want to make sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

愛好- Prisoner

男性- Stronger

内部- Within

愛好- Love

If anyone could just tell me if they are right or wrong. If they are wrong telling me the proper translation would be a great help.
by breadnbonez  

... 2010/4/26 19:20
What do you want to use the words for? Some are simply wrong, and depending on what you want to use it for, the expressions you've chosen don't sound "cool," just in case you were thinking of banners, posters, or tattoos. :)

愛好- This kanji word means "to like," "liking."
男性- It says "male."
内部- The meaning is right, but it's more like "the inside," sounding somewhat mechanical compared to the English "Within."
愛好- Again, this is the same as the first one you've got.
by AK rate this post as useful

Oh 2010/4/27 08:20
The one I meant to copy for prisoner was, 虜, but considering all the others were wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if this one was also.

Its for a tattoo, these not being the main focus, but I would still not like to make something that is wrong or just makes absolutely no sense.

I suppose it would be more accurate to first use the actual Japanese word for what I want, then find out the kanji.

I guess whichever one of these translations is most accurate to the english word, is what I want.

Prisoner- keito, shuujin, hitojichi

Within- inai

Love- koigokoro, ai, aijou, ji, ren'ai, aikou, suki, koi

ganjou, genjuu, kyousou, kyoukou, kyouryoku, kei... These are the translations I could find for strong.

Sorry if I am offending anyone with my non-existent knowledge of the Japanese language, I am trying.
by breadnbonez rate this post as useful

... 2010/4/27 08:32
I strongly recommend against getting ink into your skin (permanent!) in a language you don't understand - even though you might check here, this is still an anonymous internet forum; how do you know you got the right thing? And different nuances of different words could lead to ridiculous tattoos (I've seen plenty...).

Prisoner: 虜 would be the best; others can be "prisoners (as in criminals in prisons)"
Within: There is no single-kanji (or kanji-alone) word that represents the "within." "Inai" you have means within as in "within (5 days)" (setting time limit) - that kind of within.
Love: 愛 this is THE single-kanji word that goes well :)
Strong: 強 would be the single-kanji word :)

You are not trying to string them up to form a phrase, right? (because they cannot be, is what I mean....)
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/27 09:02
I have seen ridiculous tatoos and even documentary movies that showed upside down/left to right reversed/wrong/totally meaningless kanjis. Are you sure you may look like a fool instead of being cool? See yourself how it looks when you are old all shriveled up.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/4/27 09:19
I agree, I am not going to completely rely on what I get off the internet. I'm going to be sure before I do anything, and if I am not sure, I just wont do it.

No I am not trying to string them together to form a phrase, the Japanese kanji is only part of the tattoo, small but still important. I am using many different languages and symbols (that represent these words). The Japanese kanji just seems to be the hardest.

Each individual word means something to someone close to me, or closely relates to someone I have lost. It's not easy to explain.

Thank you very much for your help AK, and you also random guest with hatred for my inked and shriveled skin.
by breadnbonez rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/27 09:43
Please do not think putting some words together make a phrase or sentence that makes sense.
And I strongly recommend to read this before considering getting tats in the language you do not understand...
http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread