Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

american appliances work in Japan 2010/5/2 15:25
Ill be going to japan in October for school and i was wondering if my electronic appliances like TV cellphone charger xbox and other electrical stuff will work in Japan?

Thank You
by mikey7  

Yes 2010/5/5 05:44
The difference in electircity use is roughly 10 watts, no more than a walkie talkie battery.

You need a plug converter just because of the different shape of outlets.

Most things like Xbox will have power bricks attached to the cord that regulate the power flow, so there's no risk of a blow out. Just need something to make the shapes fit.
by bergeron rate this post as useful

power 2010/5/5 17:21
Most appliances will be fine. I believe the power is 110 watts, and American is 120.

In any case, the frequency is still 60hz I think. I've never had a problem with any appliance that I've used (from North America).

That said, there are no 3 pronged plugs. They are all 2 prong. If you have a heavy duty appliance (like a power cable for a computer) it won't fit. You can force a connection with a 2 prong connector and it will work since the 3rd prong is a ground wire anyway, but it's probably not safe to do that. You can buy a special power outlet at some stores, but you have to look pretty hard.

If you're just visiting and have travel type appliances, chances are they will only use 2 prongs anyway. If you have do have an appliance with a 3 prong plug, you better bring some sort of adapter.
by Jonobugs rate this post as useful

reply to this thread