Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jobs in Himeji or Kobe 2010/5/7 08:46
Hi
I live in States but my fiance is living in Japan!!! Great, huh? I speak english fluently but I have accent because english is my second Language.
I am checking the jobs in Japan. Tons of teaching english jobs everywhere but I can not be qualified because of my accent.
What else can I do over there to get a job in Himeji or Kobe? By the way I have master in Architecture and have 12 years experience in Residential field. Any help!!!!
by sean (guest)  

hard 2010/5/8 05:05
The smallest the town, as in Himeji, the less chances to find a job for anyone, more so a foreigner.
As an immigrant to North America I know that the most important thing to get a job, any job, in a new country is to speak and write the native language fluently.

Even in North America where so many people, or their parents etc. are from abroad, diplomas and work experience from other countries aren't easily accepted, if at all.

I know foreign architects that had to study full time again for several years before finding a job as an architect--even though English was their mother tongue.
One reason was that the method of constructions, the building codes, even the appliances and fixtures, were totally different from those that they knew.

I know other professionals, that had no means to support themselves and their families while going back to school full time, were already around 40 and couldn't learn the local language well enough, that ended up working in relatively low paid jobs for the rest of their lives.

Unless you are willing to take menial jobs while you learn Japanese..or are lucky to meet someone that is willing to take a big chance with you..or you can CREATE your own unique job, it will not be easy...
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/8 10:37
My wife is from Himeji. She says to start an English school there, they are in short supply.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread