Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Being an Exchange Student 2010/5/8 12:17
Okay, so I am a 15 year old girl who's dream it is to go to Japan.
I spent the last three years of my life learning everything I can about Japanese culture. I deciced that I want to be a foreign exchange student in a few years.
So, for a while, I've been watching videos about foreign exchange students in Japan and how they feel about it to see if I can relate. I've also been looking up as much information as possible about the subject, but many more questions have popped into my head that I don't even know how to search for an answer.

1. Can you pick where you want to go in Japan?
2. How long does it take to get a sponser? Could the time it takes to get one affect when I go to Japan?
3. My school doesn't send students to other countries, so if I go away a year then I would have to make up the whole year later. What should I do?
4. I really want to go to school in Japan, so would going after I graduate be too late?
5. Would I have to pay the fee or does the sponser/organization pay for it?
6. Does the sponser/organization give you a certain amount of money a month to spend or do you bring your own money?
7. How much money would I need?
8. What do you think about studying in Japan?

Sorry for all of the questions, but if you dont feel like answering them all could you direct me to a website that can help?

I'd appreciate it soo much!
Thanks! :)
by Renea Chan  

Good luck! 2010/5/8 22:02
Hi Renea,

I do not know how high schools do, but I know about the US colleges. Most of the answers for your questions can be found in the webpage of the universities.

If you are interested in going to a college in the US and in studying in Japan by an exchange student program, I would suggest to go to their webpages and collect all those information. If you still have some questions unsolved then you can write or call their offices. The college will be glad to answer you.

This should be decided by you and the college you will be going. Each college has a list of universities in Japan for exchange program and you will pick one from the list. There should be a person who is in the charge for studying in Japan, and you should consult with him/her for further details.

2. How long does it take to get a sponser? Could the time it takes to get one affect when I go to Japan?

Yes. It will depend on the university and the program. Go to the home page of the university.

3. My school doesn't send students to other countries, so if I go away a year then I would have to make up the whole year later. What should I do?

I do not know. You should talk with your high school.

4. I really want to go to school in Japan, so would going after I graduate be too late?

I do not think that is too late. Indeed, more people go when they are in the college than the high school. Many colleges emphasize their studying abroad program to attract students.

I guess you mean how to get a scholarship. It will depend on the colleges' policy. But, in general, your transcript and GPA will be the factors they will look into. The college wants to support and spend their money for a good student !

6. Does the sponser/organization give you a certain amount of money a month to spend or do you bring your own money?

Yes if you get a scholarship; otherwise, no. You have to go with your own expense and that is not cheep.

Consult with the center of the study abroad in the college. But you do not want to be worried about it now, or do you plan to save money from now?

I think it is wonderful. There are many supporting reasons and let me point out three of them.

First, you are fascinated in Japan (that is the most important reason!);
Second, you will learn Japanese culture which is absolutely great;
Third, since the numbers of Japanese students in the US is decreasing, if you know both of the languages and the cultures, you will be outstanding in the time you start working. It will definitely help you and also the world!

Good luck!

by Che ne sara rate this post as useful

Wow! 2010/5/9 00:33
Thanks a lot! That was really helpful! :)

I don't plan on saving up money yet, I want to get a little older so that I can get a job to save money.

I am still worried about the sponser/organization/scholarship thing. Should I look for one ahead of time before I plan on going to Japan?
by Renea Chan rate this post as useful

I hope this helps 2010/5/9 01:23
It's really great for you to study in japan. ganbatte !

I don't think I can answer all the questions you have. so I'll give you some internet pages that might be helpful for you.

Japan student service organization -
http://www.jasso.go.jp/study_j/2010fair_e.html

japan association of international educational exchange organizations for high school students
http://www.koryuren.gr.jp/

sorry,it's all japanese. they don't have english page. (- -'')

Japan Foundation for Intercultural Exchange
http://www.jfie.gr.jp/experience/acceptancee/hs_students.html

and
http://www.jfie.gr.jp/english/map.htm

it's all japanese again, sorry I couldn't find good english page...

Tokyo metropolitan kokusai high school
http://www.kokusai-h.metro.tokyo.jp/

A complihensive directly of useful websites
http://web-japan.org/links/international/cultural/education.html

AFS usa
http://www.afsusa.org/usa_en/home

I'm a japanese athough I graduated high school 2 years ago. I'll welcome any help.
It takes much time and effort to study abroead but never give up. Good luck!
by takashi121 rate this post as useful

Hi 2010/5/9 02:28
I am glad if it was helpful.

About the scholarship let me pick up an example and explain. Suppose you are interested in Indiana University.
Then Google with keyword "Indiana University" and "study abroad". You will find "Overseas Study: Indiana U ..." at
http://www.indiana.edu/~overseas/

There is a picture of Japan in the front page!

Next, you select "How to apply" and from the pull down menu "IU Scholarships & Grant Applications".

I did not go further in details but in this page you should be able find the information about the scholarship.

Also you may read "How to apply" to get an idea where to start from.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks so much! 2010/5/9 05:06
All of this information is really helpful!

It's really funny, because IU is the college I wanted to go to. I just don't want to wait til college to go to Japan, but if the regulations for studying abroad in high school are similar to studying abroad in college, then I understand it a little better. :)

Hi 2010/5/10 01:50
Indeed, IU is a nice university. I do not know how much the regulations of the high schools are similar.

I understand that you can not wait to visit Japan for another 4 years!

It is just my idea but if the high school does not have any program, how about visiting during next summer vacation? If you visit Japan then you will know if you really like it or not. The experience will give you clearer idea on planning for more serious stay like study abroad program in Japan in the future.

Hmmm... 2010/5/10 09:59
Well, going next summer might be a possibility! It would really give me a feel for the country. I would just hate to have only three months to stay there. But, like you said, it would be a sample for me to see if I really want to study abroad there for a whole year.

Would I need an organization to sponser me still or would I need to pay out of pocket?

Hi, 2010/5/11 02:20
Did you have time to see some webpages that Takashi informed you above?

In particular,

http://web-japan.org/links/international/cultural/education.html

seems to contain some information about the scholarship you might be interested in.

Take a look at ! Good luck !

I'm an exchange student to Japan 2010/5/20 18:13
So to give some background on myself:

I watched my first Anime my Freshman year of High School. A year later I was more interested in the culture practiced in Anime and was introduced to Japanese culture. From there I started to self-teach myself the language. Now it's about a year and a half from then and I'm a Rotary Exchange Student going to Japan next year for my Senior year of High School.

No, to begin with Rotary doesn't let you pick your country let alone where in the country your going to.

Other programs I know of let you pick your country but I'm not so sure if they let you pick where you go in the country you pick but I highly doubt you will get to choose.

2. How long does it take to get a sponsor?
Could the time it takes to get one affect when I go to Japan?

If by sponsor you mean a person/group who is there to back you up. Not that hard/long as long as you live in the right area (for rotary atleast). So no not really to question two.

If by sponsor you mean a scholarship then it depends on the scholarship and the program you're going abroad through. To begin with Rotary is going to be the cheapest program estimating $5k for the year + whatever spending money you want. Any other program I know of costs $11k or more. In the programs where they cost more, the scholarship covers the travel fees probably bringing that down to what Rotary quotes. The $5k rotary quotes includes travel, orientation costs and passport etc. Stuff before you actually go.

Rotary as it is, is cheap. However, if you're like me and paying for your own exchange they have scholarships too and I applied and won. This weekend I'll find out how much my check is xD.

The exchange program should help guide you through this process and hopefully get it in writing. My school didn't want to put it in writing, but that's because they can't really guarantee me anything because they don't know what they can count for the 1 English credit I will need to graduate.

So really it is talk with your school and Guidance counselor AFTER you have been accepted in the program. Actually talk to your guidance counselor for suggestions on what program to go with, maybe your school DOES have a preference of programs just you don't know about it.

Yes and no.

Yes, because to get the High School experience in Japan (which is going to be a completely different experience than in College) you should go before you graduate.

No, because you still get to go to Japan in college if you want. In College you get more freedoms, but at the same time you can't truly see what life is like for the average family. Which that would be a problem for me the person contemplating living there as an adult.

Rotary has you pay for Oreintation Costs, Plane Ticket, and a bunch of smaller stuff like passport visa etc. However that's all in the $5k. While abroad rotary GIVES YOU AN ALLOWANCE for spending money and also will give you a cell phone etc. THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU!

I don't know about other programs in the slightest.

Rotary gives you an allowance of about $75, however the other guy who's going to Japan and already knows where he's going in Japan, what school and etc. is getting $100 a month so it can vary.

On the other hand bringing your own money is a good thing too xD.

Other programs = ?

At the least to just get there $5K, however your parents are expected to get that. Other than that it depends on what you plan on doing.

Dude, I'm going to be doing it this upcoming August until July of next year. I'm pumped and excited. I can't wait to board my plane if only I was in Japan now xD.
by DemonicDerek (guest) rate this post as useful

Wait... 2010/5/21 04:36
Demonic, you said that Rotary didn't let you pick what countries you went to, so does that mean that you managed to be able to go to Japan by chance?

I am an exchange student 2010/6/7 23:25
I am currently an exchange student in Germany With Rotary international.
I find rotary to be one of the best organazations to go with. They do let you pick your country depending on if the country is accepting students through rotary it is hard to get into Asia sometimes with rotary.
by Tori (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread