Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A question about sale tax 2010/5/9 08:44
We are visitors in Japan for 8 days. Do we have to pay sale tax?

I heard something like; if we show our passport, we don't have to pay tax. It is correct?

Thanks.
by JBlue123  

... 2010/5/9 08:55
We are visitors in Japan for 8 days. Do we have to pay sale tax?

Yes!

I heard something like; if we show our passport, we don't have to pay tax. It is correct?

No!

Only a small number of large department stores and electronics stores will drop the sale tax if the amount of the purchase is bigger than 10,000 yen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

only 5% 2010/5/9 11:23
However, the sales tax is only 5%, which is not much.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/11 14:29
Don't nickel & dime. It is not like VAT. Better bet is to negotiate if you spend a lump sump in any store(clothes, souvenir, electronics, etc.). Nothing to lose & I do at any available opportunity. Say "benkyo site kudasai"=please study hard
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

In some large department stores... 2010/5/11 20:15
Yes, this is true in some places like in large department stores. SOME large department stores even have their own tax refund area -- an example would be Isetan in Shinjuku. You get something put into your passport which you have to give up at the airport (customs).
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread